Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba or Spectrum?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba or Spectrum?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't see any Spektrum bashing here. I see a rude tone that I think is out of place in a civilized discussion though.

But to respond to you, kdunlap, I think it's helpful to let a new pilot who is considering a radio purchase that certain issues have been reported repeatedly with a certain brand. Yes, there are many thousands of happy Spektrum users. Yes, it may really all be coincidence or user error. I'm sure some of it is the sheer number of Spektrum radios out there. But if I were new to the hobby I'd want to know about this ongoing conversation that's a solid 10 years old now. The OP can go the Spektrum route if he wants and hopefully join the ranks of satisfied Spektrum users. Our he can pick something else based on the recommendations in this thread. Either way forum users will be here to support him and help him succeed.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have both spectrum and futaba . I started with futaba used them with airplanes for years. About 9 years back decided to try helis . Decided to get a spectrum because of the receiver fbl selection for helis. I don't see any difference in the way either preforms . If I was starting today with no radios I would go with the DX9.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scupp64
Been out of flying a long time, the last radio I used was the old futaba skysport 4-channel was not 2.4. My question I guess is what is a quality radio 6 channel that isn't so hard to program, and by the way I am not a super high-tech guru so something fairley simple by the way do not have any flying clubs here in southwest Alabama so I am on my own, with I hope the help of the r/c universe family, THANKS
Look at HiTec's line of radios. I have used HiTec for years. Reasonably priced, never a problem.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 PM
SometimesFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, what are you planning on doing with the new radio? Are you looking at something that requires a computer radio, or could a conventional radio be good enough. The Futaba 6VA (plane) and 6VH (heli) were conventional radios that offered limited mixing, dual rates, and end point adjustment. If you're going to fly a simple 2-3 channel sailplane, you don't need much more than this. You can find used (and a few new) 6VA transmitters on eBay for between $25-$75. 72mhz FM receivers sell for between $5-$25. The only drawback to the 6VA or 6VH is that they don't use replaceable RF Modules, which makes them fixed frequency, and not convertable to 2.4ghz.

Need or want more complex mixing, or more channels, and still want to keep the price modest? Look for/at Futaba 8U and 9C transmitters. They use replaceable RF Modules, and can be purchased on 72mhz or 2.4ghz . If you buy a 8U or 9C transmitter with a 72mhz RF Module, updating to 2.4ghz is as simple as buying a 2.4ghz RF Module, and a compatible 2.4ghz receiver. Used Futaba 8U and 9C transmitters can be had for as little as $10 off eBay and new one sets show up for less than $100 on occasion.

As a bonus most people have migrated to 2.4ghz, leaving the 72mhz channels unused at many flylng fields.

Be aware that 2.4ghz radio components can be rated for short or long range, in contrast to 72mhz components which are all rated for long range. The placement of the short 2,4ghz receiver antenna can be critical for receiver performance, and you should be aware that building materials like carbon fiber can interfere with 2.4ghz operation.

Using 72 mhz components can be more foolproof for inexperienced builders than 2.4ghz components.

Last edited by SometimesFlyer; 02-15-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

All my radio equipment is Futaba except for a for recent purchases like Hitec Gyros. I find it easier to keep track what I have and what it's application is. I remember back in 72 Mhz days I flew at a field that ate JR alive for some unknown reason so everyone had Futaba and so I bought a Futaba. Along came 2.4Ghz and that problem was solved. Now days I think if you stick with the better radios in the Futaba FASST & FHSS), JR, Spectrum, Hitec, Graupner lines you shouldn't have a problem. It comes down a lot to preference and what your needs are. I think we can all agree the early Spektrum radios did have some problems but they fixed the problem by bring out the better and improved.designs they manufacture now. Some of these radios have a lot of options and that adds to the complexity. With what I build I don't need that kind of complexity so I have not got into telemetry and S-Bus etc. I am currently using a Futaba 6EXA on Channel 42 and a 7C on 2.4 Ghz., they meet my needs and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. When I make a radio gear purchase its usually servos, RXs, and batteries. It doesn't mean I won't buy a 10, 12, 14, or 18 channel radio in the future if I need it. I prefer to spend my hobby dollars on a new airplane project rather than the newest fanciest radio. This is my hobby I do this for leisure I work in technology sector I don't want my hobby to turn into work or come too close to my work.