Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

The cost of wood?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

The cost of wood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cost of wood?

I could use some input from you scratch builders out there. So I'm thinking about building a plane from plans for the first time and priced out my material list for the wood (balsa, basswood, ply) and I'm horrified by the cost! I priced wood from Balsa USA and Sig and I'm finding that it will cost more than just buying a kit and haven't even included hardware yet. Is this par for the course?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, yes. Scratch building is (or at least can be) significantly more costly than a kit. A kit is usually more expensive than an ARF. However, if I count the hours of enjoyment in building it (my current build is in it's seventh month and will probably take another month) then it's actually pretty cheap entertainment! And in the end, I have something unique that I created and IT FLYs! Besides, it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars! And most definitely cheaper than playing high-end Golf courses. Keep your eye out for estate sales and, sometimes, swap meets. Scarf up whatever you can at a good price whether you need it now or not....eventually it will most likely come in handy, if not for a build then a repair.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are also other suppliers that you can get a bit better pricing from :
http://www.balsawoodinc.com/balsawoodproducts

http://www.nationalbalsa.com/

Sig is very good quality as is Balsa USA but these other 2 are equally good as well.

But as has been said above yes scratch building is a bit more expensive than kit building,
you might also look at some of the laser cutters that offer short kits, they usually price the
wood that they use only, not in whole sheets if it isn't required.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 03-20-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Pork Chop

Thanks guys I appreciate your input and suggestions. Golf4two, I've always thought it would bring great satisfaction building from a set of plans and ultimately from scratch, you're right there's the "hours of enjoyment" I will get from building that must be factored in. Bill, thanks for the tip and a couple of other wood suppliers to check out.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't be afraid to substitute. I have been getting away from balsa, and using Bass for spars, as it takes shock very well. Redwood is good for spars if you can find it. Get 2x4"s of redwood or whatever, and rip them. I got a piece of nice straight grained maple flooring for a lifetime supply of motor mounts. Nice straight grain on the piece I picked. I have been using foam and coroplast for beaters (boo hiss) mostly because of the unavailability to find good paint reasonably.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're a professional cheapskate like me there is another way: swap meets. Attend every swap meet you can get to and look for wood. I've bought huge boxes of balsa pretty cheap. Not usually too much competition to get it either. Not many guys build much these days.

carl
Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Pork Chop

Aspeed, I never thought of using Redwood for spars It's always been spruce or basswood, I have heard of guys using foam for ribs now.

Carl, I have some old "box of Balsa" from Tower as well as even older partial kits I've robbed from over the years to fix other planes that I could certainly use. A swap meet is a great idea, a hobby shop up in Sacramento is having their annual swap meet next month I'm planning on attending for the first time. I hope to score some wood.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:01 AM
aspeed

I hate to admit it, but I have been buying a lot of swap meet planes, and just repairing whatever is wrong with them. It is amazing what a $50 plane can fly like. They often have a motor and servos installed. Some need recovering, some I just buy for the motor, but fly them anyway. I am satisfied with smaller planes than most guys. I think a .46 is huge. Motors are quite reasonable now with gas being popular. $20 for a Supertiger or OS .45 .46 is common. Naturally if you like building, it costs more!?!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:42 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

My local Hobby Lobby has a nice selection of balsa and ply. I would prefer to support the LHS but it is 100 miles each way.

David
Old 03-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Pork Chop

I hear you David my LHS is 30 minute drive if there's no traffic (California). Still hard to believe I can even buy a laser kit from a kit cutter a lot cheaper than buying the wood I need from LHS it's no wonder the kit builders are being replaced by ARFers! I don't mind buying most things there but will go the route of aspeed and buy cheap kits for wood where I can.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm afraid it's just going to get worse. With Aeroworks gone I'm afraid even the ARFs are going to start going down hill. This disposable society we are in doesn't care if their purchase falls apart. They just go buy another one.

David
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got an order from Tower Hobbies. Wood selection is pretty good. With the coupon codes and free shipping, the cost is not bad.

I have used good ole pine 2x4 for spars. It works well and have not had one fail.

But yes, building will cost more than getting an ARF or a kit. Yet you can have the a one of a kind plane at the field. One of the reasons I do not like ARF's, go to the field and you see 4 or 5 of the same plane.

Buzz.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:27 PM
aspeed

Just to clarify, I buy finished planes ready to fly for $50 already covered with wheels, sometimes transmitters even. I have rarely built anything in the last 30 years. EG. $80 PNP Twist with AX .46, my favourite flyer, $30 Sig Wonder (bare but fully built and ready for servos) $35 Sig Scamp, and another similar .15 size one, both with motors and transmitters. Many others. The Wonder was tailheavy, and I put in a heavy old Fox .15 bb, the batteries needed replacing on some others etc. All part of the hobby for me at least. The ARFs I have found nice as other people will tell you the weak points, and you can fix them before the wing folds up or whatever.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Pork Chop

I guess I've been under a rock because I had no idea Aeroworks closed! I went through the ARF phase for the last 10 years going from balsa to foam type planes popular at my flying field. I built a few kits and have a few gliders to finish but I'm definitely wanting to build again, I find building a little more enjoyable than flying and getting out in the shop is a nice way to relax from the stress at work.