Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting with dope

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting with dope

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 PM
FrankM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting with dope

I'm having problems painting my fabric-covered Cub with dope. My airbrush sprays such a thin coat I'll never finish it, brushing it on leaves a very uneven coat over my silver prime coat.. -maybe a full-size spray gun? I have one I use for household things like shutters, but will that work with thinned dope? How much to thin it?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think a sprayer made for latex would have way too big a nozzle to spray dope effectively. The internal seals may not hold up to dope thinner either.

Dope will even out with multiple coats though when you brush it. You may need to thin it a bit to get it to flow out.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What airbrush are you using? I've used a Pasche single action airbrush with the large tip to spray dope on a couple of models with no problems. I wouldn't even try spraying dope with an airbrush with a finer tip.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to get a detail gun. Harbor Freight has one that is inexpensive.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:27 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You cannot use an airbrush to spray a whole R/C model! Air brushes are for detail work only.
I recommend buying a Car spray gun with a nozzle size of 1,5 or larger.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
You cannot use an airbrush to spray a whole R/C model! Air brushes are for detail work only.
I recommend buying a Car spray gun with a nozzle size of 1,5 or larger.
I've sprayed two whole RC models with an airbrush. A Kadet Seniorita and a Pica Touche. So it's not true that you can't do it. True, it's faster with other equipment, but using an airbrush has some advantages: low pressure, so no overspray problems (I spray models on my workbench); you can use the same compressor you use for painting plastic models; setting up, adjusting and cleanup are faster than with my HVLP system (which doesn't work well with dope anyway).
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Flypaper 2

The detail gun the Paul mentioned works well.
Used to spray full sized planes with dope about a hundred yrs ago, well, in the late 50s.
Pressurized in a 5 gallon pail. Mercerized cotton cloth for covering. Pinned on, sewn together, and shrunk with water, then doped with nitrate dope, sanded and finished with butyrate dope.
Pretty much the same with a model.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:53 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thin your dope 50% for spraying. I've shot dope using a full quart size gun, an automotive touch up gun, and an airbrush. If you are going to be serious about painting all of your planes, get one of each. You can go with cheapies like harbor freight but sometimes those can be real problems. I would much rather spend money on a quality gun and know that it will work than fight paint problems with a cheap gun. Been there.

The gun you have for spraying shutters should work if it's a conventional type. It won't cost you anything but time to find out. On a .60 size plane, a quart size gun is a real joy to use when you're spraying clear coats or overall color coats. You don't have to stop to refill the cup.

carl
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Jennifer Curtis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that with an airbrush,
lower pressure and wide open
needle gives quicker coverage with
less overspray. Also I don't mix it
50/50. I just use enough thinner to
make it runny. That way I get
more actual dope on the plane with
each coat.

Jenny
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 AM
jaka

Hi!
Get a SATA airgun and see the difference!