Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

G10 Fiberglass sheets

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

G10 Fiberglass sheets

Old 04-16-2017, 11:01 AM
p3arljam
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G10 Fiberglass sheets

I am going to cut some access hatches in my plane and was thinking of using G10 to make the hatches . I have never used G10 before and was wondering what thickness to buy and looking for links on where to buy it from. For those of you that have used G10 before and have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 02:39 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would depend somewhat on what scale the model is but you're going to have trouble getting it to conform to any curve unless the G10 is very thin. Even then, you would need to laminate it with something (G10, ply, etc) to try to get it to hold its shape. In any case, its probably easier to mark the hatch on the surface, cover the area with saran wrap, packing tape, or backing from iron-on covering, and lay up several (slightly oversized) thicknesses of fiberglass cloth (10-15 oz/sq in total) and epoxy laminating resin. The result will conform exactly to the shape you need. When cured, you can cut/sand it down to fit. Most hobby stores sell 1 sq yd packages of fiberglass cloth. If you don't have epoxy laminating resin, you can probably get by with 30 min epoxy thinned with acetone or denatured alcohol in a pinch.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...&cPath=113_146 Jeff carries it. I used it a lot at work. It is hard on drill bits and even carbide cutters if you drill a lot of holes, as is any fiberglass. 1/32" is fairly stiff for a hatch but it would depend on size, as mentioned. It is heavy when you get thicker than needed. Cutting speeds should be fairly slow, as it burns when the tools get dull. Thunderbolt also has carbon fibre plate as well IIRC.