Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glow Engine Cuts in and Out

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow Engine Cuts in and Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Champstarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Engine Cuts in and Out

Hi Everyone,

I am having some problems with my O.S. 25 glow engine which I have installed on my GP Combat Spitfire. After about 2 minutes of flying at WOT the engine cuts in and out every 10 seconds or so. It will be at full power then sputter then go back to full power. It does this without any throttle modulation. Before I left the field last week I ran through a tank of fuel on the ground at various RPMs and the engine never once sputtered. The pickup clunk is moving freely, doesn't touch the back tank and rests nicely at the bottom of the tank. This is a new engine and has had this problem from the first flight. I use 15% Cool Power nitro fuel and a 9X5 Master Airscrew prop as I do with my other combat planes with this same size and brand of engine.

I am baffled. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be fuel frothing. Check prop balance. Try repacking the tank.

I have heard that a few drops of Armor All car cleaner can work wonders but have never tried it.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
The engine does not get enough fuel! Could mainly be two things.
A tank that leak (Use a tettra "Bubbleless tank and get rid of leaking).
You set the high speed needle to lean.
A tip... get rid of that Master a prop! It's no good compared to either an APC, Graupner G-sonic or a RAM prop.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Champstarr

Thanks for the input guys. I'm flying today so I'll be able to troubleshoot your ideas at the field. I'l probably end up changing to the APC. I use them on my NovaRossi engines as they completely flatten out the Master Airscrews!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Champstarr

Well I corrected two issues at once and now the plane runs like a champ. First I noticed that there was a small tear in the fill line where it slides over the brass tubing on the tank. Secondly another flyer pointed out that the vent tubing to the muffler had far too much slack in it and I shortened it. After that the engine performed flawlessly and the plane was able to compete in the hostile skies of kawa'inui marsh against some of the field's top combat aces. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Something to keep in mind for future tuning issues