Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Model Master Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Model Master Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Master Paint

Hi Guys,

I bought a couple of Brand New jars of Acrylic Model Master Paint to try the Acrylic paints as I have been using the Enamel in the past. I had an issue with the Model Master Aluminum paint. I have a paint shaker and shook the new jar up for a few minutes. I brushed some out and when it dried, it dried almost like a translucent clear. The area had been primed and sanded and cleaned and when I painted the surface in question the area when viewed from and 45 deg. angle you saw the aluminum color but slightly clearish and shiny like the aluminum color. But when you looked straight on at it, it looked almost translucent. The overall look was almost like you thinned it out like 60 percent thinner but this was straight out of the bottle. Now the only thing that I can add is that I added 3 copper BB's to the jar to help shake up the paint. Could these Copper BB's have caused anything like this to happen? I have used them for years but with enamels since that is what I have always used in the past. I just thought I would try some of the Acrylics and used the BB's in the paint the same way. Do you think there was a chemical reaction from the Copper to the Acrylic paint or maybe just a bad batch of paint? I kind of doubt the paint is bad. Also one other point the primer was Model Master Enamel Primer. Could there be any issue with that?

Thanks
Ed
Old 06-21-2017, 03:20 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like your paint was not mixed well enough.

Check to see if there is thick pigments on the bottom of the jar. If so, loosen that sludge up from the bottom, and mix your paint again.

There isn't much, in most aluminum paints, to keep the aluminum in suspension. I suggest that you use the paint immediately after mixing.