Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Differential wiring with a 6 channel

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Differential wiring with a 6 channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Therapy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential wiring with a 6 channel

So as to not hijack another thread here...How do I input differential on my Kadet Senior with a servo in each wing. I am just starting back up after a long absence and didn't think about differential in my radio purchase. I bought a Futaba T6J radio. So I set up using a y cable.

Can U use differential via radio or must I try to do it via linkage?

As per previous thread I made the Ailerons too large and really need differential.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

It can be done mechanically by offsetting the servo arm. Just rotate the servo arm one spline away from the aileron. The good news is that should be enough, being hinged at the top of the surface it already has some built in differential.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Therapy

That's what I thought. Didn't think of the hinge though.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:39 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you set up the WING TYPE as FLPR (Flaperon Mixing), and have your aileron servos on channels 1 and 6, you can program in the aileron differential. On the FLPR screen, press SELECT to display the flashing "%" and then use the Data Input lever to dial in the correct amount of differential. I don't know if you want an negative percent or positive percent. You'll have to try it to see which is correct. I believe you also want FLTR (Flap Trim) to be inhibited.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If your radio has end point adjustments, you can also set the end points to where ever you want the ailerons to stop, up and down. I know my Futaba 9CAP aircraft and 4PLS surface radios both have EPAs. At present, the 4PLS is set up with the rudder end points set at 75% right and 50% left. This prevents me from "over-controlling the boat during a turn as too much throw can cause the boat to flip. Some transmitters have speed adjustment as well, which controls how fast the servo turns. I found that, again on a boat rudder, cutting the speed down to 50% makes the boat respond better as it's not as "twitchy" as it is when the servo speed is set at 100%

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-20-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Therapy

Hydro, that will not help me with a Y cable as it will effect both sides which move in opposite directions. Good to know though.

I think Rbacons hit on what I was looking for. I'll see what I can do with mechanical differential first. If that doesn't give me what I'm looking for I'll try a bit of that.

Thanks all for your input. This site doesn't get alot of traffic, but I always get the answers I'm looking for in a timely fashion.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

When I posted that, I forgot you were using a "Y". Something I was told years ago is that if I wanted to have differential using a "Y", move the surface's control arm back from the hinge line 25% of the surface chord. This gives a built in differential with more up than down. This works in a similar way to what Speed said in post 2 but it means you can leave the servo and control arms parallel
Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
When I posted that, I forgot you were using a "Y". Something I was told years ago is that if I wanted to have differential using a "Y", move the surface's control arm back from the hinge line 25% of the surface chord. This gives a built in differential with more up than down. This works in a similar way to what Speed said in post 2 but it means you can leave the servo and control arms parallel
This only works if the control horns are on the lower surface of the ailerons, if on the top, you get the wrong setup; i.e. more down than up.