Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to grind a flat accurately on a LG shaft

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to grind a flat accurately on a LG shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:20 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to grind a flat accurately on a LG shaft

Is there an easy way to grind a flat on the shaft of an electric retract LG so that the LG struts which will be inserted over the LG shaft will remain correctly oriented (i.e. the wheels align accurately after I tighten the set screw) ?
I can grind the flat manually with a dremel tool but I am wondering how accurate must the flats be with respect to the wheels so I dont end up with one wheel with toe in and the other with toe out .
Old 08-01-2017, 11:04 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you are talking about how to locate the flat? I have put some paint on the set screw and then tighten it down to mark the spot where is needs to be ground. I have found the dremel grinds a concave spot rather that flat because of the shape of the wheel, so I prefer to use the edge of a flat file.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Originally Posted by raptureboy
I assume you are talking about how to locate the flat? I have put some paint on the set screw and then tighten it down to mark the spot where is needs to be ground. I have found the dremel grinds a concave spot rather that flat because of the shape of the wheel, so I prefer to use the edge of a flat file.
Locating the spot is easy, What I am asking is how to make sure that when I am filing the flat , its parallel to the Fuselage center line.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The best way I have found is to chuck the strut up on a vice with the strut laying horizontally in the vice's jaws with the wheel on the strut. I use the wheel, visually (eyeball calibration), to adjust the strut rotating it one way or the other until aligned just right. I then use a flat file to make the "flat" on the strut. The strut sits in the vice at the very top edge of the jaws so that enough of it is available above the surface of the jaws for the necessary filing.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:37 AM
sportflyer-RCU

It looks like I have to remove the retract from the wing before filing the flat to get it right.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like I have to remove the retract from the wing before filing the flat to get it right.

??????

You have to remove the strut but I don't see why you would need to remove the retract unless the tightening bolt is hidden somehow.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:27 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Here's are 2 photos to illustrate what I mean.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retract extended.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2226832Click image for larger version

Name:	Retract Pin.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2226833

There is already a flat preground flat but its the wrong location (Second photo) . I need the flat to be 90 degrees to the preground one and also slightly lower.
You can see why its easier to clamp the retract pin to a vice without the wing .
Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM
ibuild

Is it not possible to just rotate the axle somewhere down in that hub?
Old 08-04-2017, 04:55 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Originally Posted by ibuild
Is it not possible to just rotate the axle somewhere down in that hub?
To rotate the axle , I have to re position the Oleo strut guide screw i.e. remove screw , drill and tap new hole at the new position. This is more work than removing the retract and filing a new flat.

Last edited by sportflyer-RCU; 08-05-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add more info after checking.