Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle stick moves Thr servo....Pitch stick moves Throttle servo

Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 PM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Unhappy Throttle stick moves Thr servo....Pitch stick moves Throttle servo

No other servos connected ......Response at Pitch input movement at servo is only maybe 30 degrees full up to down. This will be a big problem though. FrSky Hack module bound to tiny CPPM FD800 rx. & also to FrSky Delta-8 jumpered then bound in CPPM mode. The connection of servo is onto pin header PWM 4 on the FC.

I am next going to try connecting with iNav configurator and see what the receiver tab shows me about servo movement. Ok, here goes!
Everything looks normal here. Still getting servo movement with Pitch same 30 degrees full to full.

Ideas anyone?.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 PM
ibuild

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Something in the programming is interacting it seems, have you gone through all the programming to see if some mix or function is "on" that not should be?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 AM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes ibuild I have looked to make sure all the mixing systems available on the Tx are OFF. Looked too in iNav (I am a novice using iNav) and see nothing problematic there.....but so much to see !..... maybe missing it! As mentioned this is a DIY DHT Frsky hack module I placed into an old Aristocraft FM Challenger 720. I was able to keep the original system (FM) all intact and just placed the new 2.4 Ghz antenna forward in the plastic meter housing on center an inch or so toward me from the original FM antenna. I ran the 2.4 antenna wire along side the FM antenna in its isolation enclosure that is acting like the spinal column within the Tx. I am wondering if this close proximity of the two antenna systems could have something to do with the problem.....though since the two systems are different RF I would guess not. I am also wondering if the fact that I was testing in my home with plenty of wifi going on in the space is perhaps the contributing problem? Thinking I will have to take the system out to the field to clear any interference issues as I test. Only other test comes to mind would be to try hooking up with the Delta-8 in straight PWM mode to the servos but I for the life of me can't figure out how to get the Rx to bind back into standard PWM mode from CPPM mode!? Just seems stuck in CPPM mode! Though that too I think is probably not the problem since the other FD800 which is factory set to CPPM and can't be attached any other way has exactly the same performance problem as the Delta-8. (Only one Rx is hooked up at a time). Thought maybe I had made it sound in my first post like I had both hooked up at the same time....not so!

Thank you so much for your help ,

By the way, Love the (think its a DVII Fokker) model in your avatar with you. I had a scratch built D VIII with a span of about 6 feet many years ago and loved building and flying it.

Have Fun!

'Gus' Malm aka Cepheusrealm

Last edited by cepheusrealm; 08-05-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM
abacro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Challenger 720 radio is NOT compatable with the 2.4 modual you hooked it to. Your problem is , you hooked up a HELICOPTER CCPM module to a FIXED wing only aircraft radio. The 720 has no Mixing capabilities at all in it unless you did it mechanicaly on the aircraft. So what is happening is the Module is bien powered up ok,but the radio has no means to control it accept for the 4 basic channels. All other functions are there by Maxed out!. Simply put you have a Computer radio module in a NON computer radio.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

?!? Damn

Last edited by cepheusrealm; 08-07-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I hate bad typos and poorly spoken English when I am the writer and speaker!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:29 PM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Exclamation Toto Too?

Abacro, you are not the first one to tell me that the Aristo-Craft Challenger 720 is not compatible with the FrSky DIY DHT module. But, I swear to you it is working well in every respect but this one so far. I have connected up to 7 PWM outputs on the Delta-8 before and all function appropriately. Channel 1,2,3,4 sticks and channel 5 toggle on or off ...check servo full swing either way, ch 6 pot 40 positions all seem to effect even though very small movement, ch 7 3-position all CW to center to all CCW.
As for mixing all of this that this Tx has is working as should too! I have 6>2 mix pot that is working......3 position toggle 2>6 6>2 this is working as should and lastly 1<>4 mix toggle on or off this too is functioning. As for the two dual rates Ch 1 & Ch 2 not sure but I seem to remember it working.....I will break now and try the dual rates and get back later.

I thought the DIY DHT hack worked with any radio that puts out PPM. Had heard from another that it wouldn't work because it is a PCM output radio but ???....Hmmmm. Can you maybe try to enlighten me a bit more as to what in particular is not compatible in the Aristo-Craft Challenger 720 FM Tx please.

Good G))! I wonder if I am going to wake up....not in Kansas anymore!

Last edited by cepheusrealm; 08-07-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: content error
Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 PM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Took a while and had tried several times before to get the Delta-8 out of CPPM mode and back into PWM.....did it this try!

Firstly CPPM seems to be having problems with control. Why, I do not know. But.....now that back in PWM mode everything including Dual rates on roll and pitch are there along with every other function. So, it's either we are not in Kansas anymore or the Aristo-Craft Hi-Tec Challenger 720 FM and I are in Kansas ....and Toto TOO.....and this FrSky DIY DHT hack works just DANDY!!!! SO, TOTO, Ladies and Gentlemen take My advise....Lift up your tail or pull down your pants and slide on the ICE !!!!

Ruf! Hey everbody, Toto says the ice is Rough~!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:41 PM
abacro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great its working but now you need to see what Frequency your on. Going to ppm you are no longer in the 2.4 range I believe. You are back into the radio's original FM frequency now. That is the reason a lot of the aftermarket 2.4 Modules don't work in older Module radio's. Most original Module transmitters were only FM/PPM and unless your transmitter was PCM capable , the 2.4 modules wouldn't work in them. a example is the Futaba Super 7 transmitters. I have 2 of them and both a PPM but my one is 1024 PCM also. Now my PCM radio will run both modules from either radio , but the PPM radio can not run my PCM module. The Challenger is FM/PPM only and your putting in a PCM module meant the radio couldn't understand the signal it was getting. Once back into PPM the radio was seeing it's original configuration of FM modulation and acted accordingly.

Hope the info helps a bit.

PS you may run into servo burn out using this set up since you a using a Computer radio Module in a NON computer radio. Computer radio's allow for ATV adjustment so u can stop the servo from binding at max throws. But as long as you set them up to max throw less any binding mechanically you should be ok.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:09 PM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

abacro

Are you saying the FrSky Delta-8 is capable of receiving FM 72 mHz signals and processing them correctly? I have never read anywhere that a 2.4 gHz receiver can do that. Any thoughts on why the CPPM single wire connection to the FC is not functioning.....I mean can you tell me what is the major difference to the pulse when in CPPM as opposed to pulse width each on discrete headers? You sound like you know first hand of what you speak abacro! Do you think I can use this setup if PWM without control/range issues or perhaps better said ...would you use it this way. Mind you, I really can't afford a better FrSky Tx at this time and am not all that interested in other brands as what I read leaves me a bit low on confidence in there performance. Frankly, the TOY nature of all is not to my liking....even the top dollar Tx 's are not what I would call commercially qualified.

I am planning to use the original FM RF at the same time as the DHT and have built an two separate rudders into the plane the first as with the other 6 channels will be under control of FM RF to Berg 7P and only the second rudder under order from the DHT. Figure if I loose Berg than it will go into Berg failsafe which I shall set to say gentle yaw to port and slight climbing and perhaps 7 degree of auto flap set in to slow things down a bit. Than I will continue with rudder input back to me with the DHT 2.4 gHz or of course until Berg signal is recovered and FM full control revisited.

This is all very interesting as far as I am concerned....learning a lot this past year. Learned basic R/C understanding some 25 years ago and from 2002 to a year ago took my leave from R/C to build several manned designs for myself to fly. I returned late last year to a hobby that is seemingly hugh now, with perhaps many millions more enthusiastic people worldwide.....

So much to learn, I am having a great time again learning, building and flying !

Thank you for the help~!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 AM
abacro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your Module is transmitting in FM even when it is in the 2.4 PCM mode. Just when you switch it from PCM to PPM you are noe still in FM but you turned off the Pulse code signal. FM is a wavey signal , while pulse code is like a bar code shape. __----___----____-----____---- This is a PCM signal the FM is ~~~~~~~~~ like this. Now in PCM mode the Bar code piggy backs on the FM carrier signal. But in PPm mode the bar code { Pulse code } is turned off. If i'm not mistaken with the 2.4 module in the radio, Your still transmitting in the 2.4 scale but now it is on the open FM signal. To transmit in the 72 MHz range , you'd need to put the original Challenger module bk in the transmitter.By transmitting in the Open 2.4 range I mean your radio is no longer immune to other 2.4 frequencies , so it can now be interfearred with by other signals. The whole reason for 2.4 in PCM was to illuminate the interfearance by LOCKING in the receiver and transmitter to a set signal that only they can be on.

Hope this better explains it.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a little more information to consider. The FM module channel 22 is still in the back of the Tx. I am in theory I thought transmitting from both RF units at the same time. Both antenna are mounted on the Tx and power is going through not only the FM pathways as originally built but from the DHT 2.4 into the same pathways as the FM entering at the FM pins by hard soldering to the front side ends of the pins at the board therein leaving the pins on the aft side to engage in the FM module? I have up graded the battery to a 4600mah li-ion pack I made up so both RF units can broadcast for a usable amount of time while in flight.

I'm getting a new crystal to match the Tx in a day or two and then will attempt connecting to both Rx for the first time as a two system R/C install.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 PM
abacro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How you are running with Both modules hooked up is beyond me. There should be no way that the 2 modules will work at the same time hooked up together. One { PCM} should and will OVERRIDE the plain FM channel 22.If you try using the Challenger's FM receiver with the PCM module hooked up,all you will do is ruin the servos connected. It will ratchet all the gears in the servos.

Good luck trying what your attempting.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 PM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Two Rx's one a Delta-8 2.4 gHz and the other a Berg 7P FM None of the servos will be on more than one Rx. Fm will cover 7 channels. 2.4 will only have a rudder separate actual control surface servo and a glow throttle servo. Plane is a tri-motor. Two wing mounted electrics and one glow center just like pre-WW2 Bloch 120 airliner in positions. FM will be electric motor throttles and 2.4 will be glow throttle.

This system will have probable redundancy should either RF signal fail to be heard at the plane.

I will know shortly if both systems can be operated at the same time....as my crystal for the Berg FM is on its way. Only thing more to say Abacro is I'll continue to post my results of this experiment so all of us may learn at my expense....You are all Welcome ~~~ Wish more of you will join in the fun!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM
cepheusrealm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Received the Berg crystal and it works good. Tested the system FM Berg only and that is good. Tested the Delta-8 FrSky and that works good. Put both on at the same time with separate servos and all works as though sole receiver. By Golly! I think this works! Now to final test this we will go to a place where the road is straight and flat for 2 miles and try both while my honey stays with the Rx's and me with the Tx while on cellular will verify how all work and to what distance. Purpose of this is to see if when one signal is lost other is still usable. Which do you think I will loose first....FM or 2.4? FM is transmitting at 750 mW and 2.4 is trans. at 10 mW. We shall see y'all!

and when I do I will report!

Search this Thread