Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RC Ultralight

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Ultralight

I'm toying with the idea of building one. Maybe 48" wingspan, made of aluminum tube.

It appears from my Google searches, this is not a popular topic. I found one guy that started his, and several that talked about starting it, but that's all.

Does anyone have any info they have bookmarked or something?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
rwright142

Default RE: RC Ultralight

I will eventually build one like I used to fly, called an Excalibur - picture attached. It is very similar in design to a Challenger II and there is an RC version available here: [link=http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?cPath=36]Challenger II[/link]

It's 80" though, and I don't know of any smaller sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41999.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	908540  
Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
spiral_72

Pretty cool!

This is the one I had in mind. I think they call it an Excaliber. I guess I should'a posted the pic first.

I might just have to find a lot of pictures, make drawings and build it. I thought surely someone else had done the same so I could learn from their's.

Name:	Rp44743.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	908614  
Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
rwright142

No problem.
The picture I posted is an Excalibur. I think your picture is of a QuickSilver MX Sprint. Here's a link:
[link=http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/sprint.htm]Quicksilver MX Sprint[/link]

If you decide to do it be sure to post pictures!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
spiral_72

Man that's great! I'm pumped now. This'll be a lot of fun. I still haven't found anyone that's built an RC version.

I'll definately make a build post out of it. Gotta do some more research first.

I also considered making the "flying kite" ultralight. Not sure what you call it, but you know. That'll poses some interesting problems with control I think.

My buddy seems to think I'll have to overpower it due to the light wing loading. He said I'll have to force it to go anywhere. I guess we'll see. I expect it'll be a floater!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
rwright142

The flying kite's are called Trikes. Here's a link from WikiPedia: [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_Trikes]Ultralight Trike[/link]

I used to fly with a lot of guys who flew them. As a matter of fact, when we flew together I was usually the only fixed wing aircraft in the group! hahaha. I flew in one a few times, but I just liked my Excalibur better - a personal preference.

I think you will be the first to make an RC version. Contact Quicksilver and see if they can help you with plans, drawings, whatever. Who knows, they may even sponsor some of your work.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM
spiral_72

I've found some good pictures of the actual plane. I've also sent an email to Quicksilver begging for the plans

If I can find high quality dead-on side, front and back picture, I can take measurements off the picture. Funny I know, but it wouldn't be the first time I've done it.

http://www.rewindplay.com/mxjournal/logbook-2.htm
http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/n...n-sprint2.html (actually the MX II)
Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 AM
rwright142

Great! Can't wait to see your build.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
spiral_72

Well, I got a reply back from Quicksilver. They tried to be helpful, but it wasn't actually. I do appreciate the effort.

No CAD files available. They did send me this .TIF, it might prove useful later.

This isn't going very well. I think I'm going to have to find one and convince it's owner to let me measure it's pieces and take pictures.

Name:	Ig12219.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	912205  
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
rwright142

I'll ask the guys in the flying club I used to belong too. It may be a few days before I get a reply. The owner of the airport we were all based out of passed away about a week ago. He was a WWII B-24 pilot and still flew an ultralight. He flew it just a few months ago. Great guy and he will be missed.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 PM
spiral_72

Maybe this'll turn into a build-post (I hope)

I found some more good pictures.
http://www.rainbowaviation.com/sprint_album.htm

Also some very good assembly pictures that show joints and various details.
http://www.rainbowaviation.com/sprint_assy.htm

Still no drawings, parts lists with material lengths, and no straight-on front-left side-top pictures....
Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
spiral_72

An update if anyone is following the post:

I have a .PDF top, front and side view for the Quicksilver Sport. I believe they call it a Spirit 2S. It's very similar to the MX Spirit (as near as I can tell) but with a 2ft longer wingspan and a fully enclosed wing (the wing is sheeted with fabric on the bottom). Other than that I think the motor is bigger, a wider cockpit for two people. Maybe some other small differences.

However, I've started laying the model out in CAD, then I'll translate it to 3D once I work out the details. That'll give me a cutlist and I can print the pieces off and bend to the print.

I've d/l quite a few pictures of each plane for comparison. The model I plan to copy is white. I'm also working out some ideas in my head for a coushy pilot seat if I don't find a suitable one for sale by the time I built it.

I also plan on stopping by Hobby Lobby to get some aluminum rod and see if I can solder the stuff. I expect to use 1/8" and 1/4" aluminum rod at the moment.

If anyone has any info/advise they'd like to pass on about the Quicksilver Spirit MX or the project in general, by all means, lay it on me.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
spiral_72

I've got a model started. The wing was easy. The cockpit and tail are proving to be a little more difficult as I don't actually have dimensions there.

But I'm going to wing it the best I can. (no pun intended)

Name:	Vt58575.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	918365  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I remember when i was a kid my dad bought us one (R/C version) from a hobbyshop in Saskatoon, Sk. It was just a 2 channel as once you started the engine it was full bore until it ran out of gas and it had rudder and elevator controls. I actually still have the 2 channel Futaba transmiter. If i remember correctly it had about a 40" wingspan. However the engine that was on it was not big enough or we never knew enough about the hobby to get it right and we crashed it into our flax field many many times trying to hand launch it. It never did fly. I don't even know what dad did with it. I do remember that it was actually quite detailed and looked really cool. This is about 20 years ago though. I 'll ask my dad if he still has it stashed somewhere, maybe i could get some measurements for you.

geoff
Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
spiral_72

That's a nice story. I had a similar story with my dad and a control line plane he bought me. It's amazing that he gathered up the pile of plane bits and felt bad, but I remember the excitement till this day. Very cool stuff.

I'd definately be interested in help. As you remember, we the plane similar to this one I am building? As far as I know the era is about right.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
spiral_72

Still crawling along with the project. I''ve added some dihedral to the model. I believe I''ve got it at 12 degrees now.

I bought some overpriced aluminum rod to play around with. Just haven''t gotten to it. What would we do without life''s little setbacks?

I looked around on the internet. There''s a product that supposedly allows you to weld the tube with a propane torch. We''ll see how soldering goes before I order it though.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
PoormansACE

spiral,
a friend of mine had one similar to the excalabur about 15 years ago. It was a comercially available kit powered by a cox .049. It had a foam wing similar in construction to the areobird, and aluminum tube fuse. I'm sorry I dont remember the MFG. or kit name. but it came with the motor.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
spiral_72

Well, I was looking for something entirely different when I run across this.... Looks pretty cool! Just about like an ultralight. It'll give me some ideas

http://www.acesim.com/rc/prime/
Old 06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Sven2157

Spiral,

Hey I fly RC as well as Microsoft® Flight Simulator X™ (FSX). I am the founder of [link=http://www.chicagoflightsfsx.com]Chicago Flights™[/link], which is the online group I fly with in flight sim. I am currently trying to design a Quicksilver MX Sport/Sprint, MX II Sprint, MXLII Sport and/or the Sport 2S for FSX; using 3DS MAX.

GOOD NEWS!

I live just outside of Chicago and just a few short miles from the midwest Quicksilver Dealer. I just spoke with Larry, the guy who builds these ultralites, instructs new pilots and runs [link=http://www.chicagoquicksilver.com]Chicago Quicksilver[/link]. He is going to send me the drawings that he has; from brochures and the manuals in the kits that come from Quicksilver when you purchase an ultralite. These drawings are of various detail, in scale (various scales per view), and he said he has a scale 3View, as well.

If you are interested, and are still monitoring this thread, you can shoot me an email, [email protected], or via the [link=http://www.chicagoflightsfsx.com]Chicago Flights™[/link] website. I should have these drawings in electronic format no later than Tuesday June 10th, 2008. I can then email them to you. [8D]

Today is June 6th, 2008.

Regards,

Sven2157
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: PoormansACE

spiral,
a friend of mine had one similar to the excalabur about 15 years ago. It was a comercially available kit powered by a cox .049. It had a foam wing similar in construction to the areobird, and aluminum tube fuse. I'm sorry I dont remember the MFG. or kit name. but it came with the motor.

The .049 powered ultralight you guys are talking about was the Cox "Sky Rally." It had an aluminum tube frame and looked like the Quicksilver. I remember wanting one back in the day before I even knew how to fly anything- I recall seeing it for the first time in the Sears "Wishbook" they used to mail out. Kyosho made one too, called the "Wingmaster." That one had a .10, and was a little bigger. Here's a thread with some pics....the Sky Rally looked a lot better though, IMO. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59.../tm.htm#591752
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
iloweru

i know this post is old but i have a r/c ultralight kit that i got along time ago. if you need info i could help.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lij5wPJAUJA&feature=response_watch[/youtube]
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
jcolvin173

Here is a link that will get anyone to 3 new rc ultralight aircraft. All metal construction! Beautiful! should be out summer of 2010. www.rcultralights.com
Old 10-16-2010, 11:32 PM
flybydon

They (Cox Sky Rally) didn't fly very well. I was just a kid when they came out. I saved up 85.00 dollars to get it. It only flew a few times and never had a good long flight.
I currently have two of them. My original and another I picked up a few years ago. I even have the original box and manual. I was going to make it an electric sometime.[8D]
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
mudd

hobbyking sell a quicksilver ultralight gt 2000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.