Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throttle linkage on gas engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle linkage on gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Prboz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle linkage on gas engine

Hi Everyone setting up my first gas engine. It is a 21cc twin rcgf. I read a lot that you need a non metal throttle linkage to the servo. (Wish I'd read that first) Mine is setup with a steel pushrod but it has a plastic servo arm. Is that sufficient? What is the reasoning behind that?

Prboz
Old 11-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

The reasoning is That RF from the ignition can travel back into the receiver and cause interference, glitching, loss of range.. It doesn't have to be a plastic pushrod, just some non metal in there some where. You should be Ok, just keep the receiver away from the ignition module and ignition battery. If you want a little more insurance, change the clevis at the engine to plastic
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Prboz

Thanks Steve they are a good 250mm apart.

Prboz
Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used the normal 4-40 or 2-56 rods for engine throttles forever. I mostly used a ball link on the throttle linkage on the carb. With 2.4, the concern isn't as great as it was with 72mhz. As recommended, just keep the receiver as far as possible from the ignition. 10 inches should be alright. If the spark plug caps have a spring inside, make sure that the spring stays inside the cap, should you remove the cap. Some how it helps to ground the plug. On first start up, do a range test and run the engine at full throttle during the range test. Do not move the controls and watch for glitching of the controls. If you are going to have any issues, it should show up there. Too many guys run at full throttle, wiggle the controls, and don't take the time to look for the glitching.
Best of luck!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:07 AM
jetmech05

Default Optic kill

Gassers should be set up with an optic kill. Gives you an extra way to kill the engine from the transmitter. And isolates ignition from the system. Plus if you loose power to the system automatically kills the ignition
Old 11-07-2017, 12:42 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely use a plastic clevis at the engine end if you have a metal pushrod.