Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Rear engine but no push.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rear engine but no push.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM
stearman70

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear engine but no push.

Hello. I need drawings of an aircraft having the engine above the tailplane, but that is crawling not push. can someone tell me the model or models? Annex photo information.
Thank you in advance.Attached Thumbnails
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really sure what you are asking, but in the picture you have provided, if the engine were mounted in the rear or the pod you would need either a reverse pitch prop or for the engine to run backwards. In either case, the air coming through the prop needs to be directed toward the tail of the plane, pushing the plane forward. The way it is now, mounted in front of the pod, it has a propeller that is pulling the air through and directing it toward the rear of the plane. If you were to turn that same engine around and mount it on the rear of the engine pod, the easiest way to move the plane forward is to buy a reverse pitch prop and keep the engine running in the same direction it currently is.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 AM
stearman70

Default Rear engine

Thanks for your answer. I am looking for planes for building that plane. 60 to 68 " Wingspan. .45 to .60 glow engine. Do you know where can I do find it ?.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he's looking for plans for a plane with a tractor engine mounted behind the cockpit, not a pusher. Like the one in the picture he attached. Perhaps even plans for that particular plane.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:14 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you asking for plans for a mid engine pusher? One where the engine is on a pod?
Something like this?

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2576

Outerzone has a lot of plans to look through.

Buzz.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you want a tractor engine in a pylon. Balsa USA has a coule of kits.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I think he's looking for something closer to a Northstar, as shown below. Obviously, the Northstar is not a straight winged aircraft but I believe it's closer to what he's looking for as far as where the engine is mounted
Old 11-11-2017, 09:46 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning stearman70, Indeed what you have pictured is a 'tractor' engine installation and it does not need a pusher prop or reversed engine rotation and the airplane is definitely not a Northstar.

Instead I strongly believe what you have is one of the many dozens of designs from Bill Evens and one of the names he used was Scimatar (spelling). At least that was the name of the version I built and flew back in the eighties. All his many designs were very close in formula. Most were front front engine tractors but also I believe a few did include a pylon mounted tractor. All were tricycle geared but included many variations of a relatively straight wing leading edge taper, trailing edge taper or double tapered. Mine was mild double edge tapered and was a front engine tractor. I also believe most all his designs used the same formula of roughly 10 degrees up reflex of the two control surfaces along the trailing edge at neutral coupled with a CG at around 15% mac which is further forward than conventional airplanes at around 25 or more percent.

My little Scimatar , I believe with and old K&B forty was a delight to fly and great fun. As far plans I cannot help but think (Bill Evens Scimatar) will be a good place to start your search.

John
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

John, if you go back and re-read my post, I specifically referred to the engine mounting he was looking for as being like in the Northstar, not that he was looking for a plane like the Northstar.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:05 PM
stearman70

Thanks for your comments. I think the more close to what I want to build is the "chariot" which mentions me Mr. BlvdBuzzard. Tomorrow I'll bring the plans to expand. These planes are the most close to what I want in the dimensions of wingspan and engine. Thank you all again.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the plane you're looking for is a Shreik, by Model Dynamics. Someone else is looking for the plans on another site. The picture looks like yours, but larger.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM
stearman70

Default Rear engine but not pusher.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I think he's looking for something closer to a Northstar, as shown below. Obviously, the Northstar is not a straight winged aircraft but I believe it's closer to what he's looking for as far as where the engine is mounted
Where can I get this plane.?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:53 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Balsa USA. They still sell the kit.
Northstar
Old 11-15-2017, 03:59 AM
Hydro Junkie

What's even better still is, in the seaplane forum, there are several threads on the Northstar. If you have questions, the man who designed the Northstar, Laddie Mikulasko, is known to post in them from time to time as well
Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 AM
stearman70

Thank you again.