Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lipo swelling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:12 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lipo swelling?

i have 4 heli-max lipo batteries. 1s 3.7v 30c 1200 mah. The outside cases seem to have an air pocket or something. The batteries don't seem to be swollen at all. Squeezing the main body has a little give ...not warm or hot. Just wondering if this is normal or not....tower has discontinued this particular battery,,was just wondering if they're having problems with this particular one... I'm just starting to use lipos. Just want to be safe. Any direction would be appreciated,as I here horror stories about them. Using these batteries in a helimax 230 drone.
Thanks a million. TAZZZZ
Old 11-16-2017, 09:17 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a picture? Generally speaking, lipos are very firm and don't have a jello or air pocket type feeling. These batteries are great, but you need to respect them. Charge with a high quality charger, store around 70 degrees, keep at storage charge when not using. and... if they become puffy or squishy or feel like they have an air pocket, discharge them and toss them out. You seem to be describing a cell that has a problem. But, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

If you really "just want to be safe" take them to a battery disposal center.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to test the individual cells and find out if there is any drastic difference in voltage between them. if more than a few tenths per cell then they are not worth messing with. Some where along the line they were severely discharged, this is the most common cause. I try never to fly mine below 50%
Old 11-18-2017, 07:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Some sources say that lipo swelling, especially when they are fairly new, is just the result of water vapor trapped inside the wrapping due to being manufactured in a humid environment. If the helicopter still runs well with them and they don't get hot, there probably is no reason to worry.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The Chinese have built their battery factories in the driest humidity climate areas in China. Some peoples heads will explode at this thought, but if you do an internet search of how to salvage puffing lipo's there's a guy who just punches a hole in the individual cells, squeezes out the "gas" and coats the puncture with some adhesive that looks like Goop. My limited experience is that batteries that are stored for long periods fully charged are most likely to puff. If you don't plan on flying for a couple of weeks use your smart charger to bring the battery voltage to the storage level.