Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering material

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering material

Old 12-07-2017, 02:16 AM
Dave Burns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering material

Hi from Australia,
I have a Great planes Stearman in the light grey fuse, yellow wings and blue tail in the Military scheme.
I need to recover the bottom wing (yellow?) and the rudder (blue?)
I cannot find the covering type (iron on plastic) or the colours over here. I contacted Great Planes, and all they said was we don't make that version anymore, can't help you.

So much for customer service, surely they keep records....bad luck for the buyer.

Does anyone know what these colours are, 'something' yellow and 'something' blue, and where I can get them in the USA.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, If your Stearman is the PT-17 Stearman, 71.5" wingspan, .91-1.20 ARF #GPMA1349, and I bet it is, then the following colors were used on that plane. (First, the covering is Top Flite Monokote brand covering) The yellow is "Cub yellow #TOPQ0220", the blue is "sky blue #TOPQ0206", the gray is "dove gray #TOPQ0211", and the red is "true red #TOPQ0227". Those are the Top Flite part numbers. Here are the numbers to use to order this covering from Tower Hobbies in the USA, and they will ship to you down under......Cub Yellow #LXHV38, dove gray #LXHV29, sky blue #LXHV24, and true red #LXHV44. All colors are in stock now. I don't know if you have ever bought from Tower Hobbies or not but they are one of the best hobby suppliers in the USA, honest and ethical. Have no fear ordering from them, they ship around the world and will treat you right. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by 52larry52; 12-07-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Everything Larry said about Tower Hobbies is true. They are not the cheapest but they offer the best service, hands down. As Great Planes is now a part of Tower (I think), I am surprised that they were not a bit more helpful with your question about colors on the plane. They normally bend over backwards to be helpful.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 AM
Dave Burns

Default Covering material

hey Thanks Guys,

Got the numbers and will do order to TH tonight.

Your right, not the cheapest, and the freight/post is a killer....
but you gotta do, what you gotta do..

Regards
Dave
Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Everything Larry said about Tower Hobbies is true. They are not the cheapest but they offer the best service, hands down. As Great Planes is now a part of Tower (I think), I am surprised that they were not a bit more helpful with your question about colors on the plane. They normally bend over backwards to be helpful.
Tower and Great Planes are part of Hobbico.

Great Planes produces kits. Tower markets them.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, Your welcome, glad to help out one of our Aussie friends. BTY, I was able to get the T.F. part #'s by going to the Tower Hobbies site, pulling up any Great Planes model, clicking on the Manufacture's link, and then going to their manuals list and looking under "discontinued models", and then reading the covering information in the manual for that plane. I then got the Tower hobbies part #'s from their site. It took a few minutes to get there but all of Great Planes old discontinued model manuals are there should you ever need to research one again. I have several older great Planes models but not the PT-17, that's a nice one! Enjoy.