Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How should I store my engines for the winter?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How should I store my engines for the winter?

Old 01-03-2018, 01:33 PM
jimmy7432

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I store my engines for the winter?

Most of my experience is with glow engines. But this spring I started flying a gas engine I installed on a plane I had completed. I have not seen much information on storing these engines for long periods of time. Can I use the same after run engine oil I use on my glow engine or is there something else I should use and where and how should it be used?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You don't need it. The only thing that's really needed is to not store them with ethanol blended fuel if you can help it. Run some pure gas with standard 2 stroke oil for a few minutes and it'll make it just fine. If it doesn't start up for you in the spring pretty easily, you may need to get the diaphragm and pump wet with fuel again.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:18 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeap,, just run the carb dry,, mine fire up fine in the spring
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Same basic engine as your weed whacker or your chain saw or your lawn mower. We don't seem to do much to them at the end of fall as a rule.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I'll just pass this along as information. A couple years ago , those of us who use gas engines talked about how to store them for any length of time. Of course many opinions. I decided to ask an expert. I went to the local Stihl dealer and ask if I could talk to their engine repair tech. Here is his answer on 3 questions. #1: Should I seek out non alcohol gasoline. Answer. Doesn't matter any more. All carb manufactures have been using material resistant to alcohol in gas for many years now. Just use pump gas, no problems. Question 2. Should I run the engine dry for storage. Answer: No, running the engine dry will allow the gaskets and membranes to dry out and if stored for any length of time crack, For storage, stop the engine by chocking. This will keep the maximum amount of fuel in the engine. Then leave gasoline in the tank, about 1/4 full. #3: Should I use high octane gas . Answer: No, high octane gas has chemical adders to prevent preignition in high compression engines. Does nothing for the 2 stroke engines we use.

This is for info only. I'm not debating any of this, just passing it along.

steve
Old 01-06-2018, 09:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well I disagree with your tech on leaving fuel in it,, what happens is the gas evaporates anyway and your left with oil residue that can clog stuff up, and that's can be a problem in the spring, I've always run mine dry,, from my weedwacker to my outboard motors,, it's worked well for me
Old 01-08-2018, 04:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can report there is a difference of opinion among engine mechanics over the harmful effects of alcohol. The last time I took my weedeater in for service, it needed a new carb. The reason was the check valves for the primer bulb had swollen and hardened. The labor cost to repair would have been more than the parts cost to replace so I got a new carb. The mechanic told me he almost never saw those kinds of problems before ethanol, but now it keeps him in business. My own personal experience agrees- my dad had a chainsaw he used every fall to cut firewood. It probably went 15 years without a tuneup or any kind of service. Now my weedeater needs a carb kit about every 3 years, as do many of our plane engines.
I do realize there are alcohol resistant rubber parts for 2 stroke carbs now, but I still am not convinced that they stop all of the problems that ethanol causes.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I fly them hard and put away wet!!!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:11 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Well I disagree with your tech on leaving fuel in it,, what happens is the gas evaporates anyway and your left with oil residue that can clog stuff up, and that's can be a problem in the spring, I've always run mine dry,, from my weedwacker to my outboard motors,, it's worked well for me
Former Stihl tech here. I live within 50 miles of at least 8 ethanol plants. I think it helps to have some of the freshest ethanol in the US here where I live. So I had some customer run their engine dry and some would leave them wet. Personally I leave fuel in all my engines and I don't seem to have any issues with carbs. I have an old Stihl 015. The saw has to be at least 30 years old. I got it used about 15 years ago and have never done any carb work to it. Always used E-10 in it. Even if the gas does evaporate out of the carb leaving the oil, gasoline will solve the oil pretty quickly. The oil will help preserve the rubber parts. I told my customers to do what they thought best. I can't say I had many issues with wet or dry storage.

Ken
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Here is what the manufacturer of Nelson racing engines does:

Flush completely with Coleman fuel. Then add some Marvel Mystery oil.

Kurt
Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Bozarth
Here is what the manufacturer of Nelson racing engines does:

Flush completely with Coleman fuel. Then add some Marvel Mystery oil.

Kurt
This is glow, not gas. Different animal..
Old 01-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Good point. I missed that.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 AM
r ward

I store my glow engines by giving them a spray down of marvel mystery oil, flipping them over a few times to make sure the marvel is well distributed, then put them in a baggie and on the shelf they go. never had any problems in the spring ,....new plugs of course. in the spring take them out of the baggie spray them down with carb cleaner, wipe them off and put them on the plane. I don't like leaving my engines in the plane if stored for a long time. just as important is getting the residual castor oil out of the tanks,.....again a shot of marvel keeps the castor coagulation down . if the tank comes out of the plane easily, take it out in the spring and give it a couple ounces of methanol, swish it around and dump it out and you're ready to go. save the used methanol for mixing break-in fuel..... or throw it your car's gas tank.