Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

nitro car electric start system on nitro plane engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

nitro car electric start system on nitro plane engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro car electric start system on nitro plane engine?

hi, I have a piper cub with an ASP .61 engine, I was wondering if something like this would work

https://www.amazon.ca/Traxxas-5270R-.../dp/B000EQ7ZI0

it's a Traxxas product that you install on the back of the motor, it's an electric starter for nitro, could this be used on my piper cub? thanks
Old 12-24-2017, 02:23 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well......... the Traxxas starter system bolts onto the rear of the engine case as an assembly.....that includes the gearbox and the motor. That is a LOT of weight to add onto the nose of the plane IF you could adapt it to the ASP.

The Traxxas engines have a crankshaft that engages with the starter system. I'm not sure the ASP/Magnum crankshaft has that extended pin that would engage with the Traxxas one-way bearing starter shaft.

The on-board starters used in airplanes have the motor installed behind the firewall with a long shaft that drives a one-way gear attached to the front of the engine.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It won't work. That starter is made to interface with a specific engine. It won't work with yours.
On the topic, why would you want an onboard starter on an RC plane? I understand wanting the convenience, but adding extra weight hurts the flying characteristics. Plus, you still need to attach a starter battery to that system to make it work.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
It won't work. That starter is made to interface with a specific engine. It won't work with yours.
On the topic, why would you want an onboard starter on an RC plane? I understand wanting the convenience, but adding extra weight hurts the flying characteristics. Plus, you still need to attach a starter battery to that system to make it work.

Onboard starters are a popular option, but on Giant Scale models, not smaller models, like the OP is referring to. As you state, small models can't handle the required extra weight.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:27 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed. EME makes an onboard starter for their big gassers. If I ever accomplish my goal of a large scale Spitfire, I'll probably install one. It would be super cool to be able to take the plane out to the runway, flip a button to start it, then takeoff.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Agreed. EME makes an onboard starter for their big gassers. If I ever accomplish my goal of a large scale Spitfire, I'll probably install one. It would be super cool to be able to take the plane out to the runway, flip a button to start it, then takeoff.
A friend is building a 42% Stinson Voyager. He is putting an onboard starter in it. Should be pretty cool, at the flying field.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 PM
flyinwalenda

Here is a guy who was successful installing a R.O.S.S. car engine starter onto a plane glow engine.
Again, that is a lot of weight right up front.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:31 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

IDK Man,, look how short that crank shaft is,,I think that was a car engine to start with
Old 12-31-2017, 04:56 AM
flyinwalenda

You're right. I first saw Enya but then looked closer and it is an Enya IICX (surface engine). That's why it was easy for him to install the ROSS !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya IICX.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	986.6 KB
ID:	2249361  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

This Bling Squirrel finds a nut once in a while
Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few years back Hobby Lobby International not the Hobby Lobby Craft stores had an on board electric start system for Radio Control Airplane engines. They are called something else now and I dont know if they still have this system. As other posters here have told you that Traxxas system is for their car engines and will not work with your airplane engine!
Good Day
Michael
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

A friend of mine bought one of the Hobby Lobby on board electric starters to use in a large scale Moni Motor Glider. It hasn't been finished, or flown yet. As I recall it was either a large glow, or a small gas engine. I wish I could report more, but the take away here is that it was large motor glider that could easily carry the weight. Hobby Lobby is now Hobby Express.