Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fueling options on Great Planes Skybolt 60

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fueling options on Great Planes Skybolt 60

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:27 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fueling options on Great Planes Skybolt 60

Getting back into fixed wing glow after a 18 year hiatus, and am building an old Great Planes Super Skybolt 60 kit. I’m running a Hayes 13oz tank, and either an OS .91 Surpass II, or OS FS-1.10a. I also have a Slimline Pitts in cowl muffler for the setup. My idea is to keep this a clean setup all around

Reaching out for opinions and help on setting up fueling on my model. The Hayes 13oz tank doesn’t allow for a true 3 line setup, and thus I’ve been looking at other fueling options:

-DuBro Kwik Fill: heard too many bad things about leaking valves: etc: https://www.dubro.com/products/kwik-fill-fueling-valve
-DuBro E/Z filler: not sure about this one – but doesn’t’ seem popular: https://www.dubro.com/products/e-z-fill-fueling-valve
-Fuel Dot: Seems popular but my tank isn’t set up for a dedicated ‘3rd line’: https://www.dubro.com/products/fill-it-fuel-system
-Slimline Excel Fueler: The best option I’ve found so far but don’t see many folks using them: Excel Fueler System - Slimline Excel Products
-Robart Super Fueler: https://robart.com/collections/fuel-...s/super-fueler
-‘T’-connector: I ran across this thread, and it looks simple, effective, and cheap, I just worry about forcing fuel into the carb: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79914

Any other ideas or wisdom would be much appreciated as I am at a stopping point with the build until I work out the fueling issue. and know where to drill the firewall

Thanks to all!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right. Anything with a valve will eventually leak. The straight through T or fuel dot setup works fine, but you have to pull the idle all the way down to shut off fuel to the carb. I suggest that you buy a 3 line tank.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the Hayes fuel tank back on the shelf and buy one that will use a 3 line system (fuel tanks don't cost much). Or Use the Dubro fueling valve knowing that after a couple years of use that replacement of the valve may be needed if it acts up. Also, they do sell a repair kit (new O rings) for their fueling valves when maintenance is needed. All low cost options.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Skeezix4me

Thank you for the replies. Several things I want to ask:

1)Who make a good 13oz/14oz 3-line tank?

2)Did you see the Slimline filler I listed above? It doesn't have moving parts to fail, and will work with the two-line system.

3)As I've been reading more and more this morning, I'm leaning towards the 2-line set up with my existing tank, and just using a 'T' fitting with a fuel DOT between the line from the tank-to-carb. Yes, I understand I'll have to close the throttle all the way to fill. Are there any other drawbacks from this setup I need to be aware of?

Nothing here is perfect, but I'm trying to weigh everything.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

IMHO......The "T" with a fuel dot is the cheapest and most reliable. Any of the DuBro valves are a "gotcha once" valve. . You buy them once because they are a great idea, but get any sand or other dirt onto the fuel tip and insert it into fill, you now have an irritant to the O-ring. Thus an air leak and a dead stick. Can even happen on the first fueling too. The Slimline or Robart are the best out of all of them. But, stick with the "T" or 3-line tank.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:56 AM
jameighan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 52larry52
Put the Hayes fuel tank back on the shelf and buy one that will use a 3 line system (fuel tanks don't cost much). Or Use the Dubro fueling valve knowing that after a couple years of use that replacement of the valve may be needed if it acts up. Also, they do sell a repair kit (new O rings) for their fueling valves when maintenance is needed. All low cost options.
Guys,
I replace the "O" rings every 5 years or so. I purchase them at my local ACE Hardware store.
FYI,
Jim Meighan
Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Skeezix4me

Thank you all for the replies.

Regarding the Slimline Excel filler, does anyone know of a similar type product that is available? It doesn't have any moving parts to fail or get stuck (like the DuBro), and works perfectly with a two-line set up. I'm interested to see if there are any other fillers like that one that are available.

-Tim In Texas
Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My 60 size Ugly Stick has a Kraft three line 13 oz. rectangular tank, although I use it as a two line. I fill through the line to the carburetor. I have to ask which Kraft tank do you have that doesn't have all three lines?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Skeezix4me

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
My 60 size Ugly Stick has a Kraft three line 13 oz. rectangular tank, although I use it as a two line. I fill through the line to the carburetor. I have to ask which Kraft tank do you have that doesn't have all three lines?
my Hayes tank has 3 ports as they all do, however the third port/nipple is the same as the pressure nipple - there isn’t a provision for a second line with clunk for fueling/defueling.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:55 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing is fool proof. The T setup requires that you close both the throttle AND the idle trim to prevent leaks through the carb. Then you have to remember to raise the trim again or the engine won't start. The Slimline and Robart have the same problem with foreign material fouling the O-rings as the Dubro. Buy a three line tank.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I learn new stuff every day. I've never heard of a two clunk line tank? I fuel and de-fuel through the engine supply line, and over-flow out the pressure line. If I have an airplane where the carburetor supply line isn't accessible, I set up a three line system where I fuel, and over flow from the two vent ports, and then plug off one of them. To de-fuel I hold the airplane upside down, nose low, and suck. Kraft tanks have served us well for almost 50 years. Maybe you need a Sullivan tank with two clunk lines?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Best tank is a Tettra "Bubble-less" tank ! No rubber stopper that can leak and you can use it with or whitout the inner silicon rubber balloon.
Next best is using a ordinary Sullivan, or Du-Bro (or what ever) tank , but set up with two clunks,one for pressure and the other for fuel to the carb, third line goes up at the top and serves as overflow. This tank system gives more even pressure and thus better fuel delivery than an ordinary 2-line system and has been used by control line fliers since the fifties (and by me and other in R/C for more than three decades) .
Pictured below is how I mounted the tank, fuel lines and fuel needle inside the cowl of my GE BEE R-2 powered by a MVVS 15cc engine.
The two lines going down behind the engine (Yellow and green) is for fueling and overflow. They are pluged during flight. Tank is a Tettra Bubbleless!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03669.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2251049   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_DSC03670.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2251050   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_GEE BEE R1Motor och tank snett från vänster.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2251051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 1.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2251052  

Last edited by jaka; 01-14-2018 at 01:29 PM.