Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What size spinner to use

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What size spinner to use

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting... I can't say exactly what the diff would/might be either... as I've never had and electric plane that big.. all my electric planes are park-flyer size(maybe a tad bigger).. but I'm thinking the 110 outrunner is a large motor. I would honestly think it could be made to work... and if it were me, I'd give it a try.. but that's just me. It's a good question/comment though...

I can say I do know one of the biggest differences in using a c/f or aluminum spinner on a gas or glow plane is... you can't use an electric starter on a carbon-fiber spinner if you want to keep the finish nice/clean. So if you have a gas/glow rig, with a c/f spinner, your destined to hand-starting, or a scuffed/worn finish on it from an electric starter. In your case.. a c/f spinner makes sense as of course there's no starters involved.

In that aspect alone, that ebay spinner is even more intriguing ... note the spinner looks to have a plastic back-plate..(maybe more composite..not sure though..)... Also their descriptions on any product like this might be vague... As we know many of the same components are used in both electric and gas.

Also I've done biz with ZY Hobby before... and didn't have any problems... I think I did it off their website though... I haven't looked them up in a year or so though... but I did buy from them a while back... I'm not plugging them here.. it's up to you... I'm just sayin'.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:54 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

No, it's not plastic, it has a molded carbon fiber back plate, it's just like the one on my slick,,

"electric" spinners are typically smaller and lighter with lightened back plates, and are held on with 2 or 4 screws,

Personally I don't like using an "electric" spinner for larger set ups,, anything over what would be considered 25 size, I prefer to use regular single bolt type spinners..
Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Kenbob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a spinner off Amazon Gator-RC Flow-Thru Propeller Spinner for RC Planes 75mm White 3 inches. We will see how this works, if not I will buy one from Tru-turn.
SDSHobby and ZYhobby do NOT return emails and their checkout is not secure for purchasing, so unless they email me back, I won't be doing business with either of them.

I will have to modify the base plate center hole to fit my 12mm motor output shaft at the very least to get this to work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	whilte_spinner_1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2252192  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Kenbob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well the Corvus Brietling is done

I have finished the 1880mm Skyline Corvus Brietling. Mounted the prop with the new spinner, lit it up and everything works as it should. I could put some decals on it, but I think it looks fine with out them.

Thanks to all that helped me through the build.
You all are appreciated.
Ken