Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba T16SZ Battery

Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Hans Hilmar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba T16SZ Battery

Hi Guys,

Need some advice..
I definitely need a new battery for my new T16 SZ..., it eats that standard NiMh battery in no time... so either must I have a couple more of them or something else..
Any suggestions and what to be aware about? I can see there are some LiFePo4 out there, is that the way to go or?

Thanks,
Hans
Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow.. I can't believe they put a 6.0v nimh battery in that thing. You better find out what it's rated for before putting a higher voltage battery in there though. Try the radio forum, and/or RCGroups radio forum as well. You might even email them direct and look into it....although that might not be a good idea really, as anything you put in there outside of what they deem fit will void your warranty if they found out about it.

I was looking into this radio before I bought Spektrum. I used Futaba nearly 30yrs as well. I'm literally shocked though they put that smallish battery in this radio, with all that technology it supposedly has.... If you haven't had it too long.. I would even suggest using the warranty for a new battery if the battery you now have is draining faster then you think it should. The radio should be engineered to be energy efficient, and you should have ample power for a days flying at least... I would think at least 3-4 hours of total use.... probably more. It sounds like a possible battery issue, and/or an issue with the transmitter.

Curious how much time you get, and what's telling you it eats the batteries? What's the voltage levels reading at fresh charge vs. what does it read when depleted and how long does that take?... You might have already compared this all... but there might be a reason your high end tranny that's just came on the market and has very sophisticated features is eating your battery.

So go into one of the radio forums I mentioned, and see how much time other users are getting, and what settings they use as far as screen settings and any other settings that would affect power consumption. My thinking here is similar to a cell-phone if you keep your apps running in the background they will consume power... or something like that. I'm not very familiar with that specific radio... but it sounds like something isn't quite right. Good luck with it.

Last edited by DGrant; 02-18-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:47 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hans, keep us posted as to what you find out concerning the battery.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems I read somewhere a 6.6 v life would work I would give Hobbico a call and confirm.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a T18SZ which shares the same transmitter casing/configuration as the 16SZ and they look very similar. Mine has a 2100ma LiFe battery. To be sure one would work OK in the 16SZ, I highly recommend that you ask the question in the Futaba direct manufacturers support forum for a definitive answer.

Futaba Radios Direct support forum - RCU Forums
Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In fact, I just found this in the Futaba manufacturers support forum:

The 16SZ and 18SZ have the exact same programming and use the same screen.

They differ in these ways:

16SZ use the same gimbal as the 14SG
18SZ uses same gimbal as 18MZ
16SZ has a NiMH pack, 18SZ has LiFe. LiFe packs fit and work fine in the 16SZ.
The 16SZ has 2 fewer trims (T5 and T6) on the TX face.
The 16SZ is black, the 18SZ is silver.
The 16SZ is $699.99 the 18SZ is $1,099.99