Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nylon wing dowel pins?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:06 AM
DUHAWK49
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nylon wing dowel pins?

My dog got into some of my parts and chewed up a bunch of my plastic parts for the ARF I am working on. Question is where can I find the nylon wing dowel pins? I bought the kit from tower but donít see replacement wing pins anywhere there. I have 3 of the 4 I need, just want everything to look the same. I can probably use a wood dowel and make it work but would prefer to have it all matching. Anyone know where I can get some of those at?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:49 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pins or bolt? Wing bolts are often made of nylon. Nylon bolts of a similar size are probably available at your local hardware store and will work just fine. Locating pins or dowels are usually made from wood. Your LHS, hardware store or lumberyard prbably sells the appropriate size wooden dowels. Just be sure to get hardwood with with a good straight grain.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:24 AM
DUHAWK49
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Itís the pins not the bolts. Tower just got back to me and said they do not offer them separately so I guess Iím going to have to find a matching wooden dowel. Thanks
Old 05-12-2018, 04:37 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

there's no reason wood dowel wouldn't work just fine. you might find nylon rod at McMaster Carr but ordering it and then waiting for it to come would hardly be worth it,.....just use wood dowel. the only caution is that the nylon dowel might be metric (assuming Chinese built ARF),....6mm. (.236") slightly smaller than 1/4". but wood dowel sand easily, just take your time and check their fit often. the pins are nylon simply because they are cheaper to get than wood pins. wood pins requires more machinery and labor to make them and there's plenty of empty gallon milk jugs to melt down for the injection die machines.