Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RC A380: Recommended store and worth buying?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RC A380: Recommended store and worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 PM
ctanwl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC A380: Recommended store and worth buying?

Hi everyone, I am thinking about getting an A380 RC model. Was wondering if anyone knows of any reliable suppliers and perhaps share what are some pros and cons to getting it. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2018, 03:37 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is a RC A380 RC model ? Do you have a link to one ?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:46 AM
ctanwl

Hey Tom, if you could go to YouTube and search for "Tian Sheng Airbus A380 quad 56mm" you'll see the RC plane. Sorry i can't post a link because I haven't accumulated 10 posts!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:05 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ctanwl
Hey Tom, if you could go to YouTube and search for "Tian Sheng Airbus A380 quad 56mm" you'll see the RC plane. Sorry i can't post a link because I haven't accumulated 10 posts!
I'll post it for you:

Looks like a nice plane. I have no first hand experience with it or any other EDF planes, though. I hope you enjoy it if you get it. You are an experienced RC pilot, I presume?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:16 AM
ctanwl

Thanks man. Yup been flying RC jets for 2 years. Funny thing is that though it is nice, I don't see it widely available. Maybe it's not worth buying?

Hoping for more experts to share their 2 cents worth!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Roddraym

Hi ctanwl,

I was searching for any conversations regarding the Airbus A380 (Tian Sheng) and stumbled upon your interest. I have customized four Airbus A380s (Asian Airlines, Polar DHL Cargo, Lufthansa and Qantas Airlines). My first purchase was an ARF from Banana Hobby. The instructions suggested ailevon control. But I modified for rudder control with a aileron/rudder mix to counter proverse rudder. It worked well but I quickly determined that the ARF power plant was very limited. After recovering from a near fatal tip stall I decided to improve the power plant. The ARF provides (4) 55mm EDFs powered by a 3S 2600mAh or slightly larger. But I decided to replace them with 50mm EDFs powered by 4S 4000mAh, from RC Castle plus, I increased the size of the ESCs (4) and this boosted the thrust significantly to the point where I could potentially fly on 3 engines. The power plant improvement also required upgrading the wires. Unlike the the original ARF setup, I don't need much air field for takeoffs.

Another limiting factor about this model is the landing gear (plastic). I've managed around the main gear but I've since replaced the nose gear on each aircraft. I copped the nose landing gear from a popular EDF jet plane and modified the nose section of each A380 to accommodate it.

The battery is typically loaded from the nose well. But with the modifications, I had to push the battery aft of the original location. This meant reconstructing the battery box and placing it closer to CG. BTW. CG isn't provided in the instructions. I had to rely on information from blogs to determine it plus, I used a web based program (for fun) to check it. On my latest custom build I constructed a hatch on the top of the fuselage which makes it easier to install and remove the battery (1), 4S 4000mAh.

Another concerning factor is the limited airflow throughout the fuselage to dissipate heat from the (4) ESCs. I used nylon tubes, fore and aft, to allow airflow through the fuselage. It works very well.

Due to the issues with the original (ARF) I decided to add flaps for take-off and landing. This helped somewhat with the original system. But not enough to justify keeping the power plant. However, the flaps are very effective with the improved power plant, especially on landings. It looks very scale on approach landing.

Lastly, parts for this aircraft are very limited. In fact, if you damage a nacelle, you're SOL unless you can locate one on ebay or other. There just isn't much out there and it appears that Banana Hobby has limited their parts to the entire KIT. Aliexpress offers some replacement parts such as the landing gear, elevator, rudder, and that cheesy power plant but that's it. FYI: After my last experience with Aliexpress, well, it will be my last!

Overall, I'm very pleased with the upgrades and how well each aircraft performs. They certainly garner attention at the airfield especially in the wake of so many warbirds.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
R

Last edited by Roddraym; 06-02-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: word correction