Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

6 Channel Radio what to buy?

Old 07-03-2018, 04:51 PM
FrankRC1
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 6 Channel Radio what to buy?

Hello all I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years and Iím starting back up again. Just wanting to know what is a good system without breaking the bank. And where to buy? Everything on Tower Hobbies is on back ordered for the most part. Horizon only selling Spectrum and I have no idea about them, I have been a Futaba fan for a long time but having trouble finding them. Please help.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:57 PM
tmulligan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've flown Tactic, Futaba, and Spektrum transmitters. My favorite is the Spektrum Dx6 because of the voice announcements and the 250 model memory. The Tactic is the least expensive but is adequate.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not a spektrum fan. I fly Futaba, Hitec, and Tactic. The best value is probably Tactic. Most people will ignore it because of snob appeal. But it's inexpensive, the receivers are inexpensive, it works and is easy to program. Tower has it back in stock now. But if you have to have all the crutches and only want to fly foam buy and fly, then you will probably want to go with spektrum.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you add a rechargeable battery to the Tactic, it's not that far off from the prices of its competition.

Futaba is hard to beat but one of the more expensive choices, especially when you look at the price of receivers. You are paying for quality with them though, so it's a good choice. A quick Google search will locate a vendor for you quickly. Problems with Spektrum are just too common for me to ever trust them with a plane I care about. I have a DX7 for my bind and fly indoor planes, but that's it.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:33 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spektrum systems are cutting edge. You can't go wrong with a DX6G3. I flew Futaba for 30yrs...everything was Futaba, and then I started slowly moving to Spektrum about 10yrs ago with a DX7.. while still using my Futaba..
I'm now exclusively Spektrum. I've never had any trouble with any of my Spektrum radios. I still fly my original DX7, and have a DX18G2 for my high end planes.

I tried to catch on and watch what Futaba was doing, but for me they never really took the ball and ran. Spektrum has some very leading edge features that are now mainstream in their systems.. and they seem like a very high quality product compared to Futaba.. and there's a major selection of components, something for every application it seems. I think I'm a true convert... but it wasn't that I didn't try. I just made the best choice for myself based on what I was seeing and using.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:36 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't say Futaba has lagged behind. Sure, Spektrum is first to market with a lot of features, which seems to be their corporate focus. Sometimes that bites the consumer though, as Spektrum has a reputation for releasing radios that aren't reliable yet. Futaba develops a bit more slowly, but at this point they have radios with every feature you could want at pretty much any price point you could want. The low end is still owned by Spektrum and FrSky, but once you get over $250 or so there are good choices from every manufacturer.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Skyhawk940

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe today you could buy almost any radio and get good use out of it. Even the low end radios are still so much better than the hi end radios we had in the 70's and 80's. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Skyhawk
Old 07-18-2018, 02:31 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's absolutely true. I'd take a $40 FlySky over a 70's era Kraft any day.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:30 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been flying with a Flysky 9x for I guess 5 years or so. Never a loss of signal, no hiccups, glitches. I did flash new firmware on it and that really opened the radio up to a lot more programming options. Plus it doubled the memory slots too. I also fly with an i10. Color touch screen programming. Easier to use than setting your old VCR clocks.

I used to fly Airtronics, loved them. I still use them, my four main radio still work just as good as the day I bought them. I left due to cost. An Airtronics 8 channel Rx was $89.99. A 10 channel Flysky Rx is $18.99 when it is not on sale. It comes with telemetry too.

For the cost of an i10, you could get it and 5 or 6 Rx's for the cost of the big name brand.

Flying my ASW28, I was able to hit 1.7 on the stock setup and the signal alarm did not go off and I was at 88% signal. I also like that I can take the 6 channel Rx out of the case, put in a micro plane, run Rx, (2) 5.3g servo's off of a single cell 250mah lipo.

The radio's today are so far beyond the old Kraft, EK Logic, Futaba, Airtronics Sanwa of the 70's.

Buzz.