Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Brush on Gasoline proff paint

Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM
golf4two

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Brush on Gasoline proff paint

Trying to find a small quantity (maybe about 4 oz or so) of gasoline proof brush on paint. Don't have a spray gun (and don't want to invest in one) and I kinda suck at it anyway.
And, preferably, a primer to go with it. All I'm trying to do is paint the nose of a 1/4 scale SE-5A bipe. Some paint on Solartex and some on balsa/ply.
I've tried Lowe's and a couple of paint stores but they do not have "sample size" cans of exterior latex paint (interior, yes, exterior no).
Tried a couple of small cans of assorted paints, Krylon etc., but none so far seem to be gas proof even after a week or so.
I've already spent my children's inheritance on this build so far so, yes, I'd like to be cheap about this if I can. But since I have about 9 months of effort in it so far, I'd kinda like it to look nice and hold up well for a while.
While I'm at it, I might also ask if a sealer of some type is advised.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
G42
Old 08-12-2018, 05:54 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This can be brushed,, just use regular latex, then this as a finial coat,, satin looks good on warbirds

https://www.systemthree.com/products...ethane-topcoat

be sure and get the cross linker if you're using glow

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 08-12-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most paints are gasoline resistant.

Latex, as mentioned above, will suffice. It doesn't require any clear, for gasoline powered models. You a correct in wanting exterior paints. Interior grade paints are not necessarily manufactured with UV resistant pigments.

I use Rustoleum. It's available in aerosol and in cans. Like latex, when allowed to fully dry, it is highly resistant to gasoline.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't see the interior paint being a problem since the planes are only in direct sunlight for a few hours here and there, never noticed any fading on my planes yet,,

I do recommend using a clear coat over latex,, sure latex it's fine to use with gasoline,, but the clear coat makes it much easier to keep clean, Dirt and exhaust residue will stain the latex. also if you're using printed custom graphics, they aren't necessarily fuel proof either,, so with a clear coat those are kept safe being sealed as well,,,

I use the crosslinker,, needed or not,, why would you not want a chemically resistant finish,, right?

I flew the Kingfisher this weekend,, still looks great and completely fuel proof using 20/20 glow for the last 6 years,,, the systems 3 clear is great stuff IMO

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 08-14-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Behr latex available through Home Depot here in the US sells sample cans of exterior paint, mixed any color, for under $5. I have used it on several WW1 planes, including 2 SE5A's. They matched the Solartex perfectly. I have never had any issues with gasoline with this paint. I have started clear coating with Satin Polycrylic because I like the look. It seems to blend the colors together in a favorable way.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM
golf4two

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Gentlemen for the informative replies, really appreciate the advice. Will visit Home Depot to check out their paint dept and the SystemThree top coat in the 4 OZ "sample size" is just about perfect.
I first started building with the old Comet stick and tissue models in the late 1940's (yeah, I'm an Old Fart) and have been building mostly sport/sport scale models. Electric, nitro and now gas. The current BUSA 1/4 scale SE5-A is my first attempt at a larger very scale project (chosen mostly because my stick-and-tissue project was a favorite) . After all of these years I'm still learning. I recognize the names of all of you who have replied and have seen pictures of your fine work. I've gained a new respect for those of you with the skills, tools, time, knowledge and everything else it takes to construct the fine models I see on these pages.
Great work and thanks again.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I have discovered brushing the Behr paint.
1. Do not use a foam brush. Buy the best quality Synthetic bristle brush you can find. I get the art supply kind not the hardware store kind.
2. You will have to thin the paint slightly to brush it.
3. I just use water. Others use windshield washer fluid and retarders . I have tried those and saw no advantage.
4. Keep the brush wet. I have a cup of water by the paint. I dip the brush in the water, blot it some on a paper towel, dip it in the paint, then paint. Some practice will tell you how wet to leave the brush.
5. Latex dries fast, try not go over an area already painted until dry.
6. clean the brush immediately when done. I use Dawn .
7. You will like the BUSA SE5a. it is a great flyer.
good luck, steve
Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM
golf4two

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Points well taken, Steve. Thanks again,
G42