Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

gas/glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:34 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas/glow plugs

I've been reading about rc aircraft engines that use gasoline in a glow engine. How does a glow plug ignite gasoline? Gasoline, as I have heard requires a spark to ignite, and a spark would be much hotter than a glow plug. A filiment and would have a much lower temperature than a spark so how does it ignite gasoline? Is the compression in these engines much higher than normal? Can this gas glow plug be used in any engine?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas/glow

its not really a glow engine....it may be the same engine case, but it has a spark plug and ignition unit with a lead
Old 10-17-2018, 07:47 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Old 10-18-2018, 04:44 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You may also be thinking of the Gas Norvel .40 which runs on gasoline but uses a slightly different carb than their (very good) glow engine. They set it up to use the extra hot Turbo plugs. A P3 or P5 OS plug, I forget which one. There was mixed reviews, some people loved them, others bent rods and had flameouts all the time. There was also a very long thread in a different forum, on a Gas / Glow conversion that made an adaptor for the spark plugs in the regular weedwacker style motors. There was a weight saving with no ignition crap. They were mixing about 1/3 glow fuel in with 2 stroke mixed gasoline basically. There was some good results at the time but I think the guys are going to the normal gas stuff now since it has presumably improved. Another guy has had some good luck using the E85 fuel in glow engines. In Canada it is almost unobtainium though.

Last edited by aspeed; 10-18-2018 at 04:50 AM.