Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Extending Battery Leads

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Extending Battery Leads

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:31 AM
poppy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending Battery Leads

As I have indicated in a post a week or so ago, I have an Apprentice S 15e. I am new to LiPo batteries but learning fast. My question here is this. The battery that I have for it is a 3S 11.1V 3200mAh. When I put it in the bay on the bottom of the plane and run the leads up through a hole to connect with the connector at top end, there is very little of the leads from the battery exposed to work with. It can be done but tight. Is it possible to add an extension lead to the battery leads and extend them say another 4 or 5 inches without any reduction in power or other problems? Do they even sell something like that? Thank you in advanced for any help in this regard.

Poppy2
Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

certainly, I prefer to solder extensions on rather than trust plug-in connections. just get the right (same) size wire, snip the existing lead in two and solder the extension wires in between. I like to use marine grade heat shrink tubing for the insulation. it has a hot melt adhesive inside the tube and forms a better seal with the wire casing than regular shrink tubing.. unless the extension is ridiculously long, the power won't suffer and plug-in connections rob power, so you'll be eliminating that loss.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Adding just a few inches is not an issue. I have a couple airplanes that run dual 5s 5000 mah packs. I use a Y adapter to hook the batteries in series that adds about 4" to the length. This power system generates roughly 2,700 watts so yours should be just fine. I would suggest making up an extension that just plugs into place.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:28 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes it is safe to use extensions or solder in appropriate wire extension. When I got into the hobby I decide to go with life batteries. They have a very short balance lead that you use for charging. A pain to reach in the airplane. So I make extension leads that stay in the airplane. I also made a longer lead to connect the extension to my charger.

This is is a crashed battery, ground use only, you can see the short balance lead. The plug in extension on upper left side. The battery finally failed and I save all the connections.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 AM
jetmech05

Default Series?

using a y adapter is not wiring your batteries in series. That is parallel. Remember voltage is series is additive.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by jetmech05
using a y adapter is not wiring your batteries in series. That is parallel. Remember voltage is series is additive.
I said SERIES and that is what I meant! Two 5 cell packs in series to make a 10 cell pack for a 2 meter pattern airplane. I really wish people when confused would just ask a question rather then assume the other guy is wrong!

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 10-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 PM
poppy2

Went to the local hobby shop here in Huntsville, Al this morning and the fellow there put together a 4 inch exertion for me. Identical wire, same size and identical connectors. I will be very careful it does not interfere in any way with the servos. Thank you for all your insights and help. I can not thank you all enough.

Poppy2
Old 10-22-2018, 02:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

Nice! Im working on a transfer to Huntsville. I understand there is quite a bit of R/C activity.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:36 AM
jetmech05

Default Geez

sorry dude...but unless you reverse polarity on one of the battery leads a Y is parallel. Am I missing something?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:12 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes you are. A Y can be made up to be either series or parallel. As illustrated above, Castle Creations make them in both configurations.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:55 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Series or Parallel. I’m using one in series too.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM
jetmech05

Default Oh

a reversing Y. Makes sense, didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers