Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Successful Moving

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Successful Moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Successful Moving

Greetings All:
We are making our last move. I have two planes- a trainer and a Jerry Nelson Sultan. Both need to be moved with no disaster. Has anyone out there made a container for their planes when they were moving.
Any help would be appreciated!
Donald Moore
[email protected]
Old 12-21-2018, 08:30 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what you are using to move but in my case I have packed the car / trailer then put the planes on top of every thing . By placing them on top you can make them stable, out of the way and not worry about damage . In some cases , throwing a towel or light blanket on them helps keep them stable . ENJOY Red
Old 12-21-2018, 03:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get ahold of some 'Wardrobe' boxes....stuff the planes/wings, etc in between the clothes and they will ride in comfort!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We are using movers. This is why. Also, we have a Honda CR-V which is our only vehicle, and we don't want the expense of renting a separate vehicle only to have ours shipped. With luggage, my wife's wheelchair and the dog and cat, I don't think the two planes will do well. This is why I asked.
Thanks,
Donald Moore
P.S. Why are we moving? Just found out that we are going to be grandparents! AND we don't want to be long distance grandparents!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM
red head

OK !!!! change of direction. Let the movers pack them, just take them apart first . Wings & landing gear off , I shipped 4 planes from Hawaii and they did a fine job . If you have damage , charge them for it. I thought it was pretty neat how they packed them in big boxes with packing blankets around them . RED
Old 12-21-2018, 05:02 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was in the military I built a shipping box fo ra trainer to ship home in. I made it out of 1/2 plywood and screwed it together for a long trip home. It was about 2 and 1/2 feet by 6 feet long. I made a crutch frame for the fuse and the wing of the trainer to set in and it worked great! you might have to make two for each airplane that you have.
Michael Johnston
Old 12-21-2018, 06:11 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are using a moving company, just let them handle it. A long time ago we moved from Iowa to Idaho and several planes, up to 100 inch span made it just fine. The movers made custom cardboard boxes on the spot and secured them on top of the load. No issues at all.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 AM
Appowner
Banned

While military I let the packers do the work and I do not recall any damage.

But, 18 months ago We moved from our home of 29 years across several states (VA to MI) to my home town. We put all my models, 15 planes and 5 boats, into a 10 x 10 storage unit so the movers wouldn't even see them. Then, once the house was gone and we had our new place, my brother in law and I went back with a U-Haul, got all the models and a few other things and brought them all to our new home. 9 hour drive one way. He and I made the whole trip in 22 hours.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:00 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you don't trust the movers to handle it, get a refrigerator box and build some shipping containers for them. As stated above, it'll be easier if you take the wheels off. You could probably build one big box for the wings and bubble wrap them.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
While military I let the packers do the work and I do not recall any damage.

But, 18 months ago We moved from our home of 29 years across several states (VA to MI) to my home town. We put all my models, 15 planes and 5 boats, into a 10 x 10 storage unit so the movers wouldn't even see them. Then, once the house was gone and we had our new place, my brother in law and I went back with a U-Haul, got all the models and a few other things and brought them all to our new home. 9 hour drive one way. He and I made the whole trip in 22 hours.

That's the route that I would follow.

I get nervous when my wife touches one of my models. LOL I wouldn't want strangers (movers) to touch them.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by TomCrump
That's the route that I would follow.

I get nervous when my wife touches one of my models. LOL I wouldn't want strangers (movers) to touch them.
After 36 years I finally got the wife trained.

Now it's the 5 year old grandkid. I put hasps and padlocks on the hobby room doors!