Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what take's more servo power ??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what take's more servo power ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default what take's more servo power ??

so what take more servo servo power the Rudder or the Elevator, I have been told that it's always the rudder that needs more servo power

I have a .60 size Midget Mustang, the Span is 59 inches, i am putting a Saito 100 in it so it wont really be that fast. and it will be only sport flown, with doing only the basic maneuvers,
it's elevator has more area than the rudder, but usually for sport flying the rudder is deflected more than the elevator,
this is why I have been told that it's always the rudder that needs more servo power,

whats the skinny you guys say on this ??

thanks guys

Jim
Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, the rudder needs more torque on the vast majority of planes out there. Not only is it generally more area, it's fighting against the side area of the fuselage to get the plane to yaw. The elevator doesn't have as much to fight against assuming the plane is balanced right.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Normally rudder, especially on something aerobatic/3D

Talking Mustang, I'd go with more on the elevator or just get the same servos, anything 100oz or so will be fine.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:38 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much in it for general sport flying..

But if inclined to try prolonged knife edge flight you need a rudder servo with considerable grunt
Old 04-29-2019, 08:34 PM
the Wasp

thanks for the replies !
well I didn't think the mustang would be that fast with the Saito 100, maybe 80, but I was hoping for 90, but the guys on the Saito page say more like 110. I will buy new servos

thanks again guys !

Jim
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm guessing we are talking about the World Models Midget Mustang here. The rudder is relatively small so I would go with just about any servo that is 50+oz. being that it will be a bit on the fast side you are not going to be using very much throw. By comparison my Macchi 202 Warbird racer with a YS 115 is good for 180 mph and I ran Hitec 225MG servos on both elevator and rudder. Of course linkage setup plays a part in this equation. Always use the shortest servo arm and longest control horn to get the required high rate throw. Your ATV and high dual rate should never be adjusted below 100%. If you need a reduction in throw do it mechanically first.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:55 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I'm guessing we are talking about the World Models Midget Mustang here. The rudder is relatively small so I would go with just about any servo that is 50+oz. being that it will be a bit on the fast side you are not going to be using very much throw. By comparison my Macchi 202 Warbird racer with a YS 115 is good for 180 mph and I ran Hitec 225MG servos on both elevator and rudder. Of course linkage setup plays a part in this equation. Always use the shortest servo arm and longest control horn to get the required high rate throw. Your ATV and high dual rate should never be adjusted below 100%. If you need a reduction in throw do it mechanically first.

yes it's the World Models Midget Mustang, I always setup the linkage as you describe, if I can. I learned that a long tome ago when I put a 90 size swash on my 50 Heli.. I wish I could do that linkage setup on the Mustang's ailerons, I don't know why they setup this plane like they do

Jim