Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Question about 4 channel non-stabilized airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Question about 4 channel non-stabilized airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 02:53 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about 4 channel non-stabilized airplanes

Hi I have a question about 4-channel non-stabilized airplanes. Does anybody know if there are any manufacturers that produce a 4-channel airplane wiithoutsafe mode technology? If there is does it have to be a kid I'm sure you can buy kits that where you spec out your own electronics and motors that don't use stabilization but I was wondering if there were any RTF versions. I build some Kitts way back when but I just don't feel like it anymore.is it just back in the old days that they had those kind of planes for sale or was it no RTF in those days?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Most of the SAFE/AS3X equipped planes from Horizon are available either BNF (bind and fly) with SAFE or PNP (PlugNPlay) where you provide your own receiver.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:13 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Most of the SAFE/AS3X equipped planes from Horizon are available either BNF (bind and fly) with SAFE or PNP (PlugNPlay) where you provide your own receiver.
I didn't know that. I meant to ask if any of them have a good amount of dihedral in the wings like the hobbyzone champ. Without the stabilization in the control systems i would need that.

Last edited by obrien135; 11-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 PM
obrien135

Default Thank you

I was also wondering if balsa wood plane were any more stable than foam plains all else being equal
Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you for your input

I actually only built one kit. It was an Estes rocket Astro blaster and it took me about two years to build it and when I flew it it crashed immediately either because of my lack of flying skills or maybe it wasn't built right. I was going to convert it to a gas propelled prop plane but I felt it was too badly damaged. Years later I downloaded several plans for planes from a website or several websites and I need a parts list but
The the hobby stores in my state refused to sell me the parts because they said I would just crash it due to my lack of experience and after going through all that trouble I would be greatly disappointed.so instead I built several foam pledge of my own design after buying a book on model airplane design and none of them flew right. I had to cheap drones which I was able to fly reasonably well and do some aerobatics but they both flew away when they got out of range. I had a small indoor / outdoor helicopter it was not aerobatic. It got in the way of the sun and it to flew away. I had seven ready to fly planes that all had safe mode technology but I couldn't fly them except in the safe mode and they all crash to bits. I was thinking about trying a 3 channel they've all been for channel up to now except for the ones I built myself.I really don't have the energy to build another kit or the motivation to do it or a place to work or the tools or anything like that. I have a blade MCX indoor helicopter which I am doing fine with and I had decided to pursue RC cars as an alternative which I'm doing fine with
Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you for your input

I actually only built one kit. It was an Estes rocket Astro blaster and it took me about two years to build it and when I flew it it crashed immediately either because of my lack of flying skills or maybe it wasn't built right. I was going to convert it to a gas propelled prop plane but I felt it was too badly damaged. Years later I downloaded several plans for planes from a website or several websites and I need a parts list but <br />The the hobby stores in my state refused to sell me the parts because they said I would just crash it due to my lack of experience and after going through all that trouble I would be greatly disappointed.so instead I built several foam pledge of my own design after buying a book on model airplane design and none of them flew right. I had to cheap drones which I was able to fly reasonably well and do some aerobatics but they both flew away when they got out of range. I had a small indoor / outdoor helicopter it was not aerobatic. It got in the way of the sun and it to flew away. I had seven ready to fly planes that all had safe mode technology but I couldn't fly them except in the safe mode and they all crash to bits. I was thinking about trying a 3 channel they've all been for channel up to now except for the ones I built myself.I really don't have the energy to build another kit or the motivation to do it or a place to work or the tools or anything like that. I have a blade MCX indoor helicopter which I am doing fine with and I had decided to pursue RC cars as an alternative which I'm doing fine with. I see people flying with expert skills who have only been at it for a few years and even young kids flying like pros on the internet and I realize it's not something I have a talent for if I get this last 3 channel plane I think it will be in my swan song for RC airplanes.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you

One of the planes I built from foam was underpowered because I used the guts from a t-28 Trojan s. I even beefed it up by adding a transistor and an extra battery to drive a bigger motor but it was so underpowered. So I ordered a gas motor but my wife didn't want me to pay for it so I cancel the order and it's probably for the better because I hear you're not supposed to fly to gas motors at a park and I didn't fall into a club yet I don't know if I'm going to join the club probably not also I don't have a place to store the fuel
Old 11-11-2019, 12:58 AM
obrien135

Default Sorry about the question

as I mentioned I did reasonably well with the drones but it's the airplanes that really gave me the thrill even though it only lasted until I realized I couldn't fly in the advanced mode if I could just fly into safe mode I would enjoy it but that is usually considered ununsatisfactor. if I could just do that is that was legit I would enjoy that because that was really fun but that's all I can do with those planesI guess it's because of the Parkinson's and the medication and the bad eyesight that I don't want to do any more kits maybe that's why I can't fly in advanced mode

Last edited by obrien135; 11-11-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:17 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you

I had one other helicopter that I forgot to mention it's a FlySky lama v4 or something like that. It's a coaxial helicopter but it can be flown outdoors on a quiet day I tried that and it crashed two bits I got the feeling from her that I wouldn't be able to fly it well so after I rebuilt that I just leave it on the shelf.I built a little three wheeled car out of spare parts and junk I founzd around the hous and a few thingsthat I bought and I put of fpv camera on it had that for years then it stopped working so I converted it to a propeller driven car. For that one I tried to develop my own control system using pulse-width modulation via some 555 timer chips to submodulate a tone generatot and a 27 megahertz transmitter and receiver and a tone detector and esc to drive a DC motor and a servo I got it to the prototyping stage and got it working on as a prototypebut I couldn't continue with it because of my Parkinson's so I posted a video on YouTube with block diagramsbut my explanation is very stuttery so it's hard to follow I ended up buying a control system For it but I speced that out myself it worked very well for quite a few years

Last edited by obrien135; 11-11-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:29 AM
obrien135

Default Kit

Perkinson aside and everything else I really don't have the patience to build another not knowing whether I want to fly right sway and crash would you probably wouldn't I mean it woultd probably would crash right off the bat. It's just not something that I want to do. I'll stick to the RTFs or perhaps a plug-and-play if I can come up with the money as you know I built one way back when and it crashed immediately if I could be somewhat reasonably sure that that wouldn't happen and if I had a place to work in an environment conducive to a more convenient for working on and the money required I might consider it but I haven't had the full experience because the model had foam inside the balsa-wood wings instead of ribs but it was pretty much the full experience of building a model and crashing it but that's all I really want to put up with enough of that I don't really want to go to the model and I don't feel as though I should have to do itiout of a sense of guilt or obligation

Last edited by obrien135; 11-15-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 AM
obrien135

Default Football or hockey

I feel like it would be better off getting involved with a rough contact sport like football or hockey rather than the tedious fussiness of building another kit I really don't want to do that hope you'll forgive me for saying that but I mean I'm too old to play football or hockey but maybe I can find some other more physical pursuit

Last edited by obrien135; 11-15-2019 at 02:29 AM.