Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Retract slop or wobble

Old 11-17-2019, 02:28 PM
P51Junkey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Retract slop or wobble

Do all retracts have some slop or wobble to them. I have tried different brands. Pneumatic and mechanical and there is always some slop. Any way to fix this?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not really,, if you adjust out all the play you risk them binding,,

I use the word Play,, they all have some,, slop sounds like a bad thing
Old 11-20-2019, 02:13 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems to me it's another example of 'you get what you pay for'. The cheaper they are, the more slop you get. The mechanical retracts that come with some ARFs are particularly bad. I test-flew a Hanger-9 Texan for a guy once and the plane literally 'waddled' down the runway! I have some ESM pneumatic gear for a P-40 and they look pretty nice, but the metal is soft and some of the screw holes are stripped out. Then I bought some electric retracts from Robart and those are really nice! Very little slop, cost me a bundle though. Lastly, I have some Sierra pneumatics for a big Zero. Well machined and very tight! Not horribly expensive but more than most.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:25 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (52)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you get into the larger jet retracts, I find Behotec to be the best. This is due to the frame being machined out of one piece of aluminum. trunnions are usually what wear with them. But that is after a few hundred cycles. They make both electric and air. I wouldn't waste my money on Robart anymore.