Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

saito's and mufflers

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

saito's and mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:37 PM
john keller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito's and mufflers

been flying saito 120 and 180 for 3 years. never could keep a muffler on. ruined threads and lost mufflers. saito 180 is worse. FINALLY, looks like I may have it solved:

extra strength red locktite ( 550 degrees ) works. also have always had problems with exhaust deflectors. nothing stays on and the extra weight vibrates the muffler loose. did this: installed 1/2 inch ID stainless flex gas pipe. comes with fittings. remove them. do not, do not clamp the flex to the muffler. leave loose and secure flex to landing gear or under the plane somewhere with a stainless hose clamp screwed to bottom. the flex pipe is strong enough to stay in place over the muffler outlet and lets the muffler vibrate within the flex with no strain on the muffler.

Also drilled and tapped the muffler to the header pipe and used locktite there also.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:43 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: saito's and mufflers

Had a Saito 91 on a Midwest Citabria that the muffler fell off in flight. I put about 4" of tubing to get exhaust out of the cowl, retuned engine (no pressure, no problem)somewhat and flew without muffler. It sounded better and gained abiut 1000 RPM.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:30 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

On both my OS91fs and Saito 150, I use a short piece of aluminum tubing. Get a size that won't quite slide on so the threads will cut in slightly. Then put a slit about 1/2" long in the end of the tube. Use a muffler clamp to hold it tight. Sounds great and cheap to replace if it does fall off.

Tom
Old 10-03-2003, 03:28 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have heard of this problem before, I have 4 Saitos and have yet to have a muffler come loose. All I do is crank the lock nuts real tight.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:25 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try the old trick to keep YS mufflers on -- teflon tape.