Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Plane is it good??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Plane is it good??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:40 PM
GodBomber!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane is it good??

I found a plane from a guy on the elecrtic plane forms! it is huge! look here is the site

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=HAN1330#

Cool huh? I love it, The moment I saw it I was in love![sm=kiss.gif] It is huge isint it? (69'' wing spand and 55'' long body)!
What do you think is it worth the money? I think it is!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plane is it good??

You could get an LT-40, os .40, and a trainer radio for less than that at Tower Hobbies, and have a better airplane. No trainer out their can beat an LT-40 in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:59 AM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

The LT-40 is an exelent trainer look at Tower.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0191**
Old 10-10-2003, 10:59 AM
GodBomber!

A guy I was talking to said that this plane is a good one, It is all most like the other one but just a little smaller.

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN2475

what do you think? I like this one because it comes with every thing, but the one you told me about dose not.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM
glowplug

The Alpha trainer is a nice plane. The LT-40 is the best built in my opinion, but it's not "ready to fly" like these others you have been looking at. If you're looking for a RTF, either one that you mentioned will work fine.....The Hobbico Superstar Select will work also. It would probably be a good idea to find out what brand of radio that your instructor uses before you buy anything, then you can buddy-box with him without having to buy a buddy-box. When you find out the brand of the radio, buy your plane, or, if you like to assemble a bit, and can follow instructions well, get the LT-40. You can then buy any engine and radio system that you want.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:59 PM
waagbuck

It would probably be a good idea to find out what brand of radio that your instructor uses before you buy anything, then you can buddy-box with him without having to buy a buddy-box.
Totally agree. Most people at my field wouldn't be able to help you much if you showed up with a JR radio. While a few people use JR, everyone in this area seems to use Futaba. If you have a Futaba radio, you're in good shape for instructors most anytime there are people at the field.

I like this one because it comes with every thing, but the one you told me about dose not.
Hey, half the fun of the hobby is buying all the little gadgets. . . . And most of the time things are sold separately so they are interchangeable. You'll take the engine and radio from one plane and use it on another. Once you get someone to help you learn how to fly there will almost certainly be more planes and more gadgets.

A guy I was talking to said that this plane is a good one, It is all most like the other one but just a little smaller.
Most of the time, you want a bigger plane because the bigger planes fly better. There's no definitive answer on which one is the best. I would go with whatever plane your instructor thinks is the best plane to teach you.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:03 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN2475

what do you think? I like this one because it comes with every thing, but the one you told me about dose not.
I know someone tying to learn on this plane at our field.....the only problem is that it has a 3-bladed prop which I guess you could/would eventually replace. I think they go with a 3-bladed prop because they are a bit harder to break...but they cost more. And, the guy at the field training...has no problem breaking them.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:05 PM
3d-aholic

I believe this comes with everything and is $10 cheaper.

[link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hobbico/hcaa60m.html]Save $10-click here[/link]
Old 10-10-2003, 01:08 PM
3d-aholic

Also, I agree with the JR radio issue as opposed to Futaba. Our club has Futaba buddy boxes and cords. The guy training has had to go back several times because he forget his "special" JR buddy box and cord. This is a biggie!!! You don't want to get a plane, where you have to buy 2 radios...!!!!! One for you and one for the instructor.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:23 PM
GodBomber!

This looks nice, the other one is bigger and lighter than this one though. But just A little bit more money. I still need to join a club!!![:@], If I bought a trainer that did not have the right radio in it, would it be cheaper to purchase a new radio of a different brand, or just by the instructor a controller for the plane?
Old 10-11-2003, 08:58 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: GodBomber!

This looks nice, the other one is bigger and lighter than this one though. But just A little bit more money. I still need to join a club!!![:@], If I bought a trainer that did not have the right radio in it, would it be cheaper to purchase a new radio of a different brand, or just by the instructor a controller for the plane?
I don't think 3 inches or .25 lbs is going to make much of a difference in a trainer. You should look at the engine and radio...those are the only things your gonna want to keep later on. This trainer is likely to be severely banged up...IMHO. Also, you should find the club first and the instructor FIRST!. Maybe the club mainly flies JR...who knows. You gonna want to follow a bit of what the club does so you can "feel comfortable" in the group. Our club has trainers...and someone there might be willing to donate or sell you an old plane for next to nothing...making all this mute.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The easiest solution to the radio compatibility problem is to buy your own buddy box and cord. Then, any instructor can help you regardless of what radio they use on their own planes.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:48 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 pennies worth...

If you are looking for a club then visit your Local Hobby Store (LHS) and ask them for recommendations. You can also visit www.modelaircraft.org and use the "find a chartered club" link...

I've taught many people to fly on about every trainer made. I agree that the SIG LT-40 and SIG Kadet Senior are great trainers... However, there is nothing wrong with either of the Hanger 9 RTF planes -- Xtra Easy 2 or the Alpha. If you like the idea of getting into the air fast then get one of the H9s... If you want to take a little time and assemble your trainer get one of the SIGs...

As already mentioned -- it is better to get a radio brand that you can get local help with. If the local fields are populated by Futaba guys (yeah! I like Futaba) then get a Futaba. If the reverse is true ( [:@] ) get the JR. Both make great radios that will last for years and years... At worst you can spend $50.00 or so and get your own buddy box... The basic radios are pretty simple and any competent instructor should have no trouble with any radio brand of radio handed to them...
Old 10-11-2003, 03:51 PM
3d-aholic

Just remember....$50 buys a lot of props and practice fuel.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:42 PM
GodBomber!

Why would you need to buy a lot of props? do they break a lot? And I've been wondering, how much fuel does a .40 size airplane consume? can you fly for very long on 1 tank of gas? how much does a gas tank hold?

Do you half to buy all the fuel hoses separate from the plain?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:44 PM
GodBomber!

By the way What is an (IMHO)[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-11-2003, 08:48 PM
GalenB

By the way What is an (IMHO)[sm=confused.gif]
In My Humble Opinion...

A 40 size engine will typically give 12-15 minutes of flying on an 8 oz tank. If you fly faster you burn more fuel -- if you fly slower you burn less...
Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 PM
GodBomber!

Thanks, So does most .40 size engine planes come with 8 oz tanks? And 12-15 min. is not really that much fly time, or is it, when your in the air does it seem to make time go faster? So this plane an Alpha trainer, should it come with an 8 oz tank?

link, http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN2475
So how much is gas??? about $9.00 a quart? with this plane would I use 15% nitro gas?
How wide would a .40 size engine, and how tall?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92629.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	67041  
Old 10-12-2003, 12:44 AM
GalenB

Thanks, So does most .40 size engine planes come with 8 oz tanks? And 12-15 min. is not really that much fly time, or is it, when your in the air does it seem to make time go faster? So this plane an Alpha trainer, should it come with an 8 oz tank?
The Alpha most likely comes with a 240cc tank which is pretty close to 8 oz... 12-15 minutes of training per flight is plenty. Learning tp fly RC airplanes is mentally demanding and after 12-15 minutes you'll want to take a break. After re-fueling you'll be ready for another round... I also like to take some time between flights with my students to talk about the airwork just completed and to prepare them for the the upcoming flight's airwork.

link, http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN2475
So how much is gas??? about $9.00 a quart? with this plane would I use 15% nitro gas?
How wide would a .40 size engine, and how tall?
You can use 10-15% nitro fuel in the Evolution enigine that's on the Alpha. I pay about $13.00 per gallon for 15% fuel at my LHS... $9.00 a quart seems pretty expensive...
Old 10-12-2003, 08:15 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy glow fuel by the quart, it 's much too expensive that way. (Have you been looking at the Tower catalog?)

Fuel is $13 to $!9 per gallon in Massachusetts depending on where you go. Is that expensive? Well, with your trainer and a .40 size engine, that's about 3 1/2 hours of flying time. For me, that's cheap enough.

By the way, props are cheap enough at $2 or $3 each. You'll probably break a few while learning, and if you have to go home for the day because you broke a prop, it stinks.

Fuel lines are usually purchased seperately. (They don't come with most plane kits or ARF's, but should come with RTF's.)

Good luck.
Dennis-
Old 10-12-2003, 09:15 PM
GodBomber!

Thanks, when I join a club, is it a good idea to buy a plane off a fellow member? When I get a plane how many props should I get 5? How much would some one in there right mind sell a used .40 size airplane for???
Old 10-13-2003, 12:09 AM
glowplug

GodBomber, Yes, it's a very good idea to buy a plane from a fellow club member. For one thing, it's flown already and been proven airworthy. 2nd, You'll pay less for it, 3rd, You won't get ripped off because the guy will have to face you often.
5 props is a good start........
Prices can really vary.....some guys might think their stuff is worth a little more than you think it is, but a lot of guys are looking to unload stuff on the cheap. For example, a friend of mine is looking to sell a Tiger 40 Trainer, with a GP .42 engine and Airtronics VG400, for $150.......and it's only been flown twice. A deal like that is good to come by.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:15 PM
GodBomber!

Thank you, I never thought of it that way. Plus it would probaly have the same type of radio in it that every one else uses to! So were do you buy props? and Large amounts of fuel? I think I will get about 3-5 gallons, does it go bad after long? If so I will only get a gallon or two.

So should I get a tool box to keep all my spare parts, props, fuel, ect.? I have a tool bow with 3 plastic shelves in it with organizers, to keep every thing separated. I had it left over from were I was into rocketry, I still like rockets I try to improve them all the time! I had an idea for a rocket powered glider plane! it would have rubbers and every thing! But the tool box also has a deep bottom in it, I could not fit a gallon jug of fuel into it but I could get A couple of 1 pint bottles to put fuel in. It is all plastic would this work?

I should have at least $300.00 dollars, I think I could get a very good used airplane for less than this, and buy some props, starter kit, tools, fuel, ect. What do you think is this a good plan?