Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do you build the left wing if you have only the right wing on plans

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do you build the left wing if you have only the right wing on plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 01:02 AM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you build the left wing if you have only the right wing on plans

I ordered a Pitts Special plans from RCM by Nick Ziroli and will be starting building soon. I am at planning stage.
I have the bottom and top right wings on the plans but I do not have the left wing, the top wing is sweept back bottom is straight.

What do you do when you have only one side of the wing on plans how do you the other wing build on plans?

I can not place the ribs upside down on the right wing plan while building the left wing since only bottom side of the ribs has tabs for building on staright surface.

Do you make copies of the plan and and reverse it somehow.

I did build a 4 Star and it had both wings on plans, and laying the ribs on plans to build the wing was easy.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:22 AM
linclogs

Default RE: How do you build the left wing if you have only the right wing on plans

One old trick is to lightly "oil" the half of the wing plan you have with cooking oil. Then the paper becomes transparent and you can turn it over and read the plan from the reverse. Many kit manufacturers used this method a long time ago and even told you to do it this way in their instructions. Saved them money by having to only print part of the the wing plan.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:17 AM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How do you build the left wing if you have only the right wing on plans

although the oil idea works it really messes up the plans, especially if you want to use them again. Here's how I've done it in the past.

On a large table where you have good lighting place the plan face down on the largest piece of white posterboard you can find. You can now see the lines through the plan. I just use a pencil and long straight-edge to trace the lines on the back side of the plan that you're going to need to build the other half of the wing. I usually trace the rib locations, spar(s), and any other part that must be properly located. If a pencil line isn't dark enough use a black Sharpie felt tip pen (the fine tip one).
Old 10-19-2003, 08:40 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have (or have access to) a glass-top table, place the plans up-side down on the table, and place a light under it. Now you can clearly see the lines to trace them.

Another method is to go to your local Kinko's, and have them print out a reverse copy.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:16 AM
DrFun

Thank you for your help,

I will first try the reverse copy which will be the easiest, I had the original plans copied at a local blue print office, the copies were 100%. I hope they can make reverse copy.

Than I will try the other methods.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:33 AM
r1morris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok my 2 cents If you have a Kinkos copy center near you they will do a reverse copy for you on their big scanner for about 4 bucks.

Best regards
Ron M
Old 10-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Bob101

Kinkos or any blueprint or drafting supply place will do it on a big copier - make a reverse/opposite copy that is.

Seeing your tag is Bethlehem PA I'm almost 100% positive some engineering supply house there has at least a 36" x 48" copier.

Make a copy onto velium first (it's see thru) and then run it thru upside down - they'll know because they probably make mirrored copies by accident all the time.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Tall Paul

I use the oil method.. and scrape off the excess.
Then cover the oiled side with MonoKote backing sheet to keep the oil off the balsa.
The plans survive well over the years.
Tracing works also.
I generally only transfer the spar location and ribs... everything else is located by these anyway.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:38 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

<<...oil the plan sheet...>>

No kidding. That's a bit bizarre...

The plans for my Bridi Super Kaos only show the right wing panel. This is no big deal, since the ribs are drilled for a wing jig and I have one. But I was wondering how one was supposed to get by without a jig.

Oil the plan sheet, eh? Not today...

Steve
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Tall Paul

I believe Bridi used common sense when designing, from the planes of his I've built. With a uniform rib spacing and a straight spar, rights and lefts can use the same plan moving only the spar relative to the leading/trailing edges.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:49 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Well, yes; but the Kaos has a double-tapered wing, which complicates things immensely. The kit provides some jig blocks which are intended to support the TE of the root, tip, and middle ribs.

I built my first Super Kaos using this method in 1987. One wing panel came out fine; I managed to get a bow in the other. I bought a jig for my next one; it greatly simplifies this type of wing construction.

Steve
Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
P-Y

Hello,
I know, this is an 9 years old thread, but still, I d' like to share my experience.
Because I live abroad and don't talk the local language, I couldn't use the reverse copy option (beside, I don't know where I could have found a place to do it).
So, I dripped candle wax (melting it with my iron: the same that I use for monokote) over the plan and ironed it into the paper to make "waxed paper" out of the plan (as read on this post [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4474134]link[/link] ) . Now I'm able to work on the left wing.
It's not that messy and was quite fast to do it.
Here's a picture:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45731.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1790544