Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Banner tow with model

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Banner tow with model

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 07:46 PM
MikelJay
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banner tow with model

Our Club is planning an airshow in late summer / early fall. One of the things that I'd like to do is tow a banner with my Cub. Has anyone heard of doing this? How is it done? What's required?

Thanks in advance for you're help, input and ideas.

Mike
Old 05-01-2002, 10:52 PM
nchrome

Our club pres does it all the time with his Senior Kadet. The tow line is fasten to the fuse abou one inch be hind the wings on the belly of the plane. The banner is rolled up on a wooden dowel with two wheels on the ends of it this way you can roll up the banner prior to tak off and it will unroll during take off. You will have to put a little weight on the bottom of the dowel to mak the banner not twist. You'll have to experiment on the linth of the banner that you want to use. Try to keep it light l But you will have to experiment to see what your plane can handle.Also his plane has a desiel 74 on it and it handles a twelve foot banner quite well. He also has a parachutest that hel will be dropping and see what he will do. He's also R/C so it should be quite interesting to see.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Gee, I would think the attachment point would need to be close to the CG area to minimize the effects of that weight/drag hanging out back there. Whaddya think?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:58 PM
nchrome

Originally posted by vinnie
Gee, I would think the attachment point would need to be close to the CG area to minimize the effects of that weight/drag hanging out back there. Whaddya think?
We've been doing this for a couple of years now and it pull it just fine at this point. You see if you put it on the tail it will effect the center of gravity and the control serfaces. We also have an extra servo in the plane so's we can drop the banner on the runway in order to land with out getting tangled up in it