Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass over ABS?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglass over ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 03:41 PM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass over ABS?

On my TF Sea Fury there are some leading edge parts that are made from ABS. Can I apply fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin over this material? I don't see why not, but I wanted to check it out first.

Thanks,

Herb
Old 05-02-2002, 04:53 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

You can apply fiberglass cloth to ABS using PVC cement (the type used for joining PVC pipes). It comes in a tin with an applicator built into the lid. Works well.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Herb-RCU

I should probably clarify a little more. The ABS parts fit onto a part of the leading edge of the wing. I am then fiberglassing the entire wing. Therefore, I want to use the exact same stuff that I'm using for the rest of the wing since it is being done all at once.

Thanks,

Herb
Old 05-02-2002, 05:03 PM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

The short answer is yes, you can glass over them.

Make sure you sand the abs to take the gloss off the surface and give the resin something to adhere to. Also, you might want to spray the abs parts with a very light, and I mean very, very light coat of 3m77 to get the glass to stay down and not pull off the surface where there are creases and low spaces.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:47 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I have a model with large ABS parts on the fuz and I covered it all in epoxyglass. But as previous posts have indicated, it needs a lot of help. Epoxy just will not adhere to ABS. I have treated an ABS cowl with etch primer and then epoxy glassed the whole inside, it seemed superb, but the ABS cowl and the epoxy glass came apart at the first knock on the work bench. It made a nice mould though!

What does work fantastically well is thin cyano. Pull the cloth down onto the ABS and drop thin cyano onto it, keep your nose as far away as possible! The cloth, cyano and ABS lock together forever in a flash. Now you can put a thin coat of epoxy over the top to seal the weave.

Harry