Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ailerons/Flaps or Flaperons

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ailerons/Flaps or Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Jim Finocchiaro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailerons/Flaps or Flaperons

Just purchased an almost new Ultra Stick 40, no manual, no servo's....I have installed the four servo's in the wing but now dont know how to set these up. What is the prefered method of doing so? Outboard surfaces as ailerons, inboard as flaps, or all four as flaperons. I am using a Futaba 6xas tx, that has the flaperon option.

Need some advise please!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-28-2003, 07:22 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ailerons/Flaps or Flaperons

Given the choice, I would use seperate flaps/ailerons every time. I have use both configurations on several planes, and the separate controls always performed WAY better than Flapperons. (Less chance of tip stall too)
Old 10-28-2003, 12:21 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the 40 with a Saito 61 on the nose, awsome.

Use the inboard as flaps and the outer Ailerons.

Drop the flaps, play with the power and you can hover. With an 7 or 8 channel radio you can do the crow with it. Flaps down, Ailerons up and the A/C stops in mid air. Have not tried the rapid descent and hit the crow for landing yet. Great plane to just bore holes in the sky

Jim
Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 PM
sandal

I see two large advantages of having separate flaps/ailerons.

1) Tip stalls/stability
When you lower the flaps, the wing's effective angle of attack increases because the flaps go down. Stalls occur when the angle of attack reaches a certain point. This means that the area of the wing where the flaps are, is going to stall sooner than the rest of the wing (when the flaps are down). Normally when having separate ailerons/flaps, the flaps are close to the root of the wing, and the ailerons are close to the wing tips. By having the flaps at the root of the wing, the center of the wing will stall first, and the wings will remain level during the stall (if not pushed too hard). Ailerons are close to the wing tips because that provides more turning power (force x arm = torque). Combining ailerons and flaps in flaperons means that the wing will have a flap surface that goes much further out towards the wing tip than it would with separate flaps/ailerons. This makes the plane more likely to drop a wing when it stalls.

2) Aileron control when the flaperons are down
When the flaperons are down, the ailerons will be different. The one that goes up will be much more effective than the one that goes down, because both are down to begin with. This means that the plane will turn differently when the flaperons are down. Another thing, perhaps more important, is that the outer wing will brake during the turn, yawing the plane in the opposite direction of the turn. The flaperons are down, and when one goes up and the other down (when turning), there could be as much as 50-60 degrees deflection down, which will brake a lot more than it will lift the wing.

I would definitely use separate flaps and ailerons. Then you can lower the flaps enough to really make it slow down, and still have normal aileron control.

sandal
Old 10-28-2003, 02:26 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Whoa, wait. I am lost here. If I am flying along, and I drop the inboard flaps on my US 60, isn't it going to cause the plane to lift?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:32 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the nose will come up as you have increased lift. Will require you to push the stick forward or if you have a computer radio couple in down elevator.

At high enough speed and you drop the flaps you can loop the A/C. For real excitement, full power, drop the flaps, pull back on the stick and .... How many loops can you do in 5 seconds.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:50 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

You should be able to crow with your 6X
Old 10-28-2003, 08:46 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

I saw a guy the other day who had his US 60 set up with crow. He came screaming in, flipped the crow on about 30 yards from the ground and glided right in, it was amazing.