Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Finishing question for painters

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Finishing question for painters

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:07 AM
tks1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing question for painters

I have been slowly building a TopFlite A7 Corsair between other projects. The wing is open structure and permanently attached to the fuse. I covered it with Solartex fabric. The fuse is bare balsa right now. Question is - my plan to this point was to put a couple thin coats of resin (no glass) on the fuse up to the wing to seal the wood and then prime and paint the entire structure (including the wing). Is this appropriate? I'm not very experienced in the world of painting. Just looking for some ideas.

tks1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63038.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	72329  
Old 11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finishing question for painters

Certainly sounds like it will work fine.

Here's a tip I learned last night, but have not tried myself. It came from a club member who used it on their latest $8,000 Sukhoi, so I trust the info.

He uses standard Krylon paint, spray cans! Then he covers the plane with a coat of Clear LustreCote for fuel proofing. He swears by it, and it sounds real easy, so I'm going to have to try it.
Dennis-
Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
tks1

Thanks Dennis. I'm going try that. Is it the fast-dry Krylon paint?

tks1
Old 11-05-2003, 08:23 PM
jettstarblue

Resin=weight, use the Krylon method, or water based polyurethane (or regular poly for that matter) Ever concider trying clear dope? very light when dry.

Jetts
Old 11-06-2003, 03:27 AM
tks1

jettstarblue

Would you be able to just briefly explain how to use the dope or polyurethane methods. Do I just apply them to the bare wood on the fuse and when dry give it a light sanding and then start painting? Does Krylon or Lustrecote work over top of the dope and/or poly?

The fuse is bare wood with the wing being covered in iron on fabric. The wing also cant be removed. I would be able to apply either the poly or dope on the fuse up to the wing? and then just prime and paint the entire structure?

Sorry to ask so many questions but my painting experience is very limited.

Thanks
tks1
Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 AM
jettstarblue

Sure, two coats of dope, sand lightly with 220 between coats, 260 or 330 final sanding. When you sand dope on wood use light pressure, and tap your paper frequently. Polyurethane, one coat, sand with 220, then use 00 000 steel wool to "rub out". Finish either method with a vacuum then use a tack rag,-(cheap, and essential)As a side on this one, 3-4 coats with 000 steel wool in between each coat make a killer wood finish for bare wood antique types. Never used Lustercote, and never used Krylon over polyurethane, but you can make a 4"x4" test piece and check.
Having said all that, if you are planning on painting over your wood, and just want to fill/seal it, and then paint without additional covering ect., try Sig's sanding sealer, (dope with filler so it fills and sands smooth, which you can also make by adding talcum powder to dope, ad by stirring in talc slowly) then apply your favorite finish over that. I HAVE used "Painters Touch" by rustoleum, and it is fuel proof with 15% nitro, and comes in spray and brush on, in a wide variety of colors. It's also reasonably priced, and available at Home Depot/Lowe's/WalMart/ect.
Also, you could use a "high solid primer" from the automotive section at Wal/KMart, and then spray your Favorite over that. Yes spray/brush the whole works with the primer/sealer, fuse wing and all.
Remember, just because it doesn't SAY fuel proof doesn't mean it's not! I've painted models, and in fact TWO Harleys and a BMW motorcycle with .88 cent spraypaint from Ames (like WalMart) They all had show finishes and the planes were fuel proof. My customers were very happy.
Hope this helps, feel free to ask a million questions!

Jetts
Old 11-06-2003, 07:16 PM
tks1

Thanks very much. That will help alot. I have always been a little unsure about the painting aspect. When I finally get at it I will post the progress.

Thanks both DB and Jett.

tks1
Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 PM
jettstarblue

No prob, can't wait to see it.

Jetts
Old 11-07-2003, 10:57 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be affraid (or intimidated) by the use of glass cloth. If you continue to build larger projects, you eventually will get into the full glassing process. Personally, I do not think there is a better way to add strength/durability while keeping the added weight to a minimum. I use .75 oz cloth for all of my aircraft. Bob