Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Vinyl cutter for names and trim items

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Vinyl cutter for names and trim items

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl cutter for names and trim items

Has anyone had experience with the small 8 inch Roland "stika" vinyl cutter? I'm considering making a buy, but I'd like to hear from an owner or two first. Will it cut tiny fonts, approx 1/4 inch or even less. Typical of pilots names seen on smaller planes. Also, will it do a nice job on custom trim pieces, like stars and such? What about the scanner operation? Any general notes on its successful operation..or otherwise..will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:52 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Vinyl cutter for names and trim items

There was a few posts on this in the 'clubhouse' forum about a month ago..
Old 11-14-2003, 01:35 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I have the SX-8. This machine does a great job of cutting vinyl graphics.
The small lettering can be a problem. The machine will do it, but small letters are difficult to weed without damaging the letters. I think that one of the books said that about 1/4" was about as small as you would want to go. I have done smaller letters but you have to apply the vinyl to the plane and then weed it. The problem with small letters is that there isn't enough surface area to make them stick properly. For small lettering or intricate designs you should also purchase a 60 degree blade.
The machines are easy to use, and you will be cutting letters a few minutes after hooking up the cutter.
If you want to design your own graphics, you will have to learn Corel Draw, which is supplied with the machine from some distributors. This is not real difficult, but is very time consuming. Dr stika also comes with the cutter and is easier to use than Corel, but not as versatile.
You can scan graphics and import from other sources.
The SX-8 is a good size for most of the graphics you would do for RC airplanes. Max width of design for the SX-8 is 6-1/4", and loadable material size is 7-13/16 to 8-7/16 wide. The SX-12 maximum width is 9-13/16", and loadable material size is from 11" to 12". The maximum length is 39" for both of these machines. If you go much longer than that, the end of the cut may not match up with the start of the cut. I like the 8" but the 12" would be nice. With the 12" you throw away a lot more uncut vinyl.
Call Sky at 450 449-0142, or visit their web site at http://www.stika.com/. They can give you all the information you need to make a decision on what cutter will be right for you. Every seller of the Stika cutters packages different software with these machines. Sky has the best software for our use.

Greg
Old 11-15-2003, 01:25 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Just buy your stuff from JohnVH.

www.cutimages.com