Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Latex painting on Nelson Lite fab

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Latex painting on Nelson Lite fab

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:29 PM
ScottB
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latex painting on Nelson Lite fab

I have a 1/4 Scale Super Cub coverd with Nelson Lite fab. I am going to be ready for paint soon and am looking for some suggestions on painting latex over the lite fab. I Am going to be base coating the plane in white and trimming it out in red. this is a scale color scheme and I am concerned that the paint will bleed thru the fabric when I try and paint the trim details. Does the fabric need to be sealed first before painting? and if so what is the recomended procedure. I have heard that the latex can be applied by brush or with air with the same results, Is this true?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-13-2003, 12:04 AM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Latex painting on Nelson Lite fab

The Nelson Lite Fab is Solartex partner---I bought it from Nelson and bought it from Quantum--it's the same thing!!! Solatex is sealed you should not have any color bleed at all... Apply your latex but be sure and clearcote over the top of the latex

I apply Solartex on all my planes but paint with automotive basecoat/clearcoat systems and can't give you any advice on latex's other than I know they wont hold up without a clearcoat of somekind.....

Hope that's helpful---I can guarentee you that Nelson Lite Fab=Solartex fabric
Old 12-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Got this right from nelsonhobby.com

After application, the fabric does not need to be sealed or coated with a protective paint. In use any oil or dirt can be removed the surface by scrubbing with soapy water. Very fine weave allows a minimum of paint to be used, thus a light weight paint job.

Check out the site, lots of info there.

One tip they give you about masking where two colors will come together: Lay down your tape, then shoot a coat of clear up against the tape. After it dries, lay down your color. If you don't, the color will wick under the mask in the fabric texture and ruin your shot at a clean line.

Dan
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM
davidgeorge212

So is Nelsons Lite Fab (the unpainted fabric on a roll) discontinued or am I not looking in the right place?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The post is 8 years old so you may want to phone Nelsons to see if they still carry it. If not then just buy Solartex. Just an FYI, Latex requires no top coat with planes using gas engines, it's glow powered planes requiring a top coat.