Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

dremel accessory question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

dremel accessory question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 05:49 AM
hiker123789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dremel accessory question

i got a dremel rotary tool for a christmas gift last year, & hadn't really used it until i started in on my winter project this year. it came with a bare minimum of accessories. what would you all recommend for me to buy if i were to get, say, 3 or 4 versatile acc'ys. for cutting off, grinding, etc. it came with a sanding drum & mandrel, & a drum-shaped gray stone thing, & i can't seem to get much accomplished with these. i'm looking to open up holes on a.b.s., lite-ply, fiberglass, etc. advice on these would be appreciated. what do you guys use? thanks in advance!! dan edwards [email protected]
Old 11-20-2003, 06:19 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: dremel accessory question

The cut-off wheel is the best accessory. A couple burrs are nice too. DO NOT buy their drill press and other garbage accessories. I've had a handful of them and they were all crap. On top of that they are always changing the shape of the Dremel tool itself so if yours dies and you buy another, chances are it won't fit any of the accessories you buy.

This is a page on my site that more or less shows what I use with my Dremel and some more griping.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...moto_tools.htm
Old 11-20-2003, 09:14 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

A grinder bit is nice, for cutting openings in cowls etc... especially fiberglass - but wear a mask!!

We got the 'router table' and with a 45° or 60° bit, you can bevel the edges of your contol surfaces.

(But i feel doing it by hand, you have more control, and by the time you've set up the router table, set the bit, run a test peice, etc.. you might as well do it by hand..)
Old 11-20-2003, 12:29 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cut-off wheels are very handy, as are different grits on the sanding drums. I have some course drums that really cut through wood, the medium are good on ABS cowls.

I also bought a saw blade, but they're expensive. ($5 to $10 bucks for a 3/4 inch blade!) I do use it quite a bit though.
Dennis-
Old 11-20-2003, 01:06 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

If you have a Costco near you they have a 180 piece accesory kit for about $20 it has just about anything you will ever need!
Old 11-20-2003, 03:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2 favorites are the FIBERGLASS cut off wheels (Not the stone ones! They shatter and spew fragments) and the Multipurpose cutting bit.

Look at item #'s 456, and 561 on this page:

http://www.dremel.com/html/products/...s/cutting.html