Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fiberglass question..

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fiberglass question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:34 PM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass question..

I've been using Zpoxy to fiberglass a kit im building and my question is this.... How do you clean your brush when you are finished? Ive tried paint thinner, and denatured alcohol and neither worked, the epoxy still wouldnt come off the brush. My brushes dry with the epoxy on them and i have to throw them away. Is there another way?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:14 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: fiberglass question..

I've had pretty good luck with alcohol but better luck with acetone. I bought a gross of metal shaft acid brushes that are used in tin shops for applying acid for soldering. 144 of them cost me $14.95 and I clean them with acetone. If I don't get them into the acetone until it's too late because I'm positioning a part, or whatever, they go into the trash can. They are particularly good for spreading epoxy on larger flat surfaces, they're cheap and more or less disposable. I got mine from Micro Mark. I also bought some small mixing cups from Tower. I think they come about 50 to a package. They are made of the same material as the epoxy contaners so it won't stick to them. After the epoxy has dried it can be popped out and the cup reused. They are the size of those little cups that they use to deliver pills to patients in hospitals. They too are fairly cheap and to a degree disposable.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Toypainter
My Feedback: (5)

I work in a body shop and we have always used Laquer thinner. It is stronger than paint thinner or alcohol.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:57 PM
3DFanatic

Secodn the laquer thinner. I soak a corner of a rag with it and scrub the brush.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

I mix small amouts of epoxy on cardboard and larger amounts in a small disposable dixie cup. I spread it with a stick, cardboard or an old credit card. Those phony credit cards they mail out as promotions are favorite with me for bigger jobs. Everything gets thrown away, no cleanup and thus no need for the chemicals with their associated fumes.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:09 AM
3DFanatic

Hmm, interesting idea. I'm going to have to try that one!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Azcat59

Acetone cleans the cheap brushes out pretty well if you don't let it start to harden. And I use only the acid flux brushes mentioned above by ballgunner.....buy them for about a dime each at the LHS. I think you can buy the one ounce cups for epoxy mixing from a medical supply house. My RN daughter bought me a lifetime supply about 15 years ago!

Clair
Old 11-25-2003, 10:56 PM
cknaack

I use 90% Rubbing alcohol to clean my brushes. It is far cheaper than acetone or lacquer thinner (although both are great cleaners). The rubbing alcohol is less volatile than the acetone and thinner, and breathing the vapors from acetone and thinner is more harmful than rubbing alcohol.
I just brushed some thinned epoxy on a set of wing struts to fuel proof them with a camel hair brush. After I finished, I cleaned the brush with the alcohol as usual. The brush looks and feels like new.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:11 AM
CafeenMan

I've tried just about everything - acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK, xylene, alcohol, etc. I've had terrible luck getting epoxy out of brushes and just use acid brushes now or a squeege.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:54 PM
cknaack

The cleaning process needs to take place before the epoxy starts to turn. After that, I know of nothing that will clean it up.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:37 PM
probligo

I am with stripes on this - everything that I use when laying glass and cf must be disposable.

The "credit card" idea is the best!!! "Your credit card my love? Oh the one that was on the bench? Oh!!!I thought it had expired so I used it for laying glass last night!!!" [sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=surprised.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-26-2003, 07:32 PM
cknaack

Amen brother! I also try to use disposable items where I can. The camel hair brushes get a bit expensive though.

Last time I checked, there were more than a few credit cards that needed to be "disposed of" in my house!
Old 11-27-2003, 01:01 AM
3DFanatic

Probligo, just make sure you get a nice thick layer of resin over the code strip to control her wild shopping sprees
Old 11-27-2003, 08:52 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I use old playing cards to spread epoxy and then throw them away. They are flexible and you can follow shallow contours with them as well as spread material on a flat surface.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Rubbie

Instead of Credit cards try using the "key" that you get at hotels. They are just like credit cards except for the embossing on the Credit Card. I travelled a lot for work the past two years and I have enough for a life time. Once I use one I let the glue try and because it is a shinny plastic the dried glue will just peel right off afterwards. The hotel doesn't usally ask for it back once you check out so I usally forget about now just out of habit.