Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Electric Starter on 24volts?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Electric Starter on 24volts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 PM
bkdraft
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Starter on 24volts?

I have a Sullivan Dynatron starter. Can you run this on 24 volts? I need to crank a brand new 1.5 engine and the Dynatron will turn it over, but not spin it fast enough to start. I think I read somewhere that you could run this starter on 24 volts without burning it up. Just want to make sure.
Thanks,
James
Old 11-25-2003, 11:17 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric Starter on 24volts?

I believe I've heard that the Dynatron will handle 24 volts, but I won't guarantee that. By the way, any of our 12 volt starters will handle 24 volts, the only question is, for how long?
Dennis-
Old 11-25-2003, 11:32 PM
bkdraft

It worked ok, got little warm couple of times, but its still working.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It will work but will probably shorting the life of the starter.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:40 PM
bkdraft

Well, it lasted a little while, burned it up today.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
FUZZ

Hummm,....... That surprises me that you burned it up. The Sullivan Dynatron is rated for 12 or 24 volts. I used mine at 24 volts to start a Moki 2.10 and I use it at 12 volts to start a G-38 and have never had a bit of problems. Also, It will strain the system if both of your batteries are not fully charged too.

FUZZ
Old 12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guy's, the dynatron is a 24V starter. I have two, the first was fed into the prop of a G-62 in the starting process and it bent the shaft. We streightened it on a drill press but it has never been the same. That one is religated to small engines and 12v now. The second one is on a miller belt driven starter cup and sees 24 volts all the time.

Now the thing that "burns out" starters is stalling them or over loading them. This over heats the brushes and melts them onto the comontator (I think that is what it is called, anyway the thing the brushes mate to on the armature). If you simply sand this stuff off and clear any between the plates og the comontator your starter will start to turn with some authority again.

Good luck

Joe
Old 12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
MustangFan

For what it's worth

K&S sells a rubber battery mount that holds two (2) 6 or 7 cell car batteries. Lighter and more compact than a gell cell portable.
The heli guys in this area use them.
They are designed to fit a Hobbico or equivalent (TH) starter, but I found a way to mount them to the Dynatron.

Works very well. Turns over my Saito 1.80 easily. (with cheap TH HD Starter ... $37.00 on sale? - second unit for me)
Use it with the Miller drive and dynatron i ... t turns over my DA-50R easily as well.

Even with extended use (hard start DA-50) no burn-out problems. I'm using two 6 cell car batteries of 1500ma capacity.

Have Fun ! [8D]
Old 12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
bkdraft

I was trying to be careful and only using short bursts. Something sparked and it went up in smoke. I took it apart and two wires from the stator were outside of the housing and appears that they shorted out against the case.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:03 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like your starter should be ok. Just need a new wire.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:53 PM
bkdraft

Its two wires from the stator winding. They came out of the gaps of the stator and hit the magnets in the housing. It will have to have a new stator.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:02 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Mustang Fan,
Two 6 cell packs is only 14.4 volts, not 24.
Dennis-
Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry DBCherry, pb cells are two volts per cell, ie 2 X 6 X 2 = 24. If he is using 7 cell NiCads it is 1.24 X 14 or 17+ volts.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:18 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

I have both a Sullivan Dynatron and a Sullivan Super-Hi Torque. They are both rated for 24volts. I made a booboo with the Dynatron, replaced the wires with a slight smaller grade inorder to mount bananna plugs on them --- BIG MISTAKE.

The modified Dynatron consistently welds the plate switch (switch is two flat metal plates with an insulator between them -- you push on one plate to touch to the other to activate) together every time I use it -- will eventually added higher grade wiring and hopefully solve that problem. Meanwhile, I picked up the Super-Hi Torgue starter on eBay. It is physically smaller than the Dynatron but easily handles my cold Moki 180.

NOTE: Without exception, these heavy torque starters are designed for intermittent use -- do not sustain them on a hard starting engine, you wil burn them up.

***WARNING***
Be extremely careful with these heavy torque starters on small engines. They can easily overcome hydrolock and ruin your engine.

I put together 2 motorcycle batteries in series and built a starter box around them. I have a motorcycle battery tender that I used to individually charge each battery. It is a little heavy but somewhat portable. Check It Out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84072.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	79910  
Old 12-05-2003, 03:24 PM
MustangFan

BDCherry

Yes ... 1.2 X 12 = 14.4 Volts You did well and can pass to the next grade

I didn't say it was 24 Volts .... it was a "for what it's worth statement" that 24 volts wasn't needed for my application, but the K&S portable battery holders were worth looking at. Beats carrying 2 heavy batteries if you DON'T need to.

After my success, other club members are doing the same to start their G-62 engines. A nice neat ,small, portable package.

P.S. Keep the leads short and heavy gage.

I have been told that just shortening the leads on 12 volts helps quit a bit.

Happy Engine Starting !!!