Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

Hi all:
I have a 60 size plane (Astro Hog) that an acquaintance had asked me to recover for him.
At first, he wanted me to recover it then said he knew of someone else. The plane sits in my garage for 6 months, so I call him and he says he wants me to recover it. I told him I needed two more rolls of covering to complete it and I wanted them before starting the project. It's now been another 6 months and haven't heard a word from the guy.
At first I only wanted a case of fuel to do the job, now I may want the fuel and a nominal fee. I had told him I was concerned with it getting damaged because I have to move it out of my way when I work on other projects.
What should I do?
He does have a .72 Saito sitting here for this plane!! lol

Tom
Old 11-29-2003, 10:38 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: What to do?

I say swap that 72 onto one of your planes...at least until the job's done which could be years.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:07 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run into the same situation in the past. My best advise to you. Call him up and tell him come get the plane that you no longer want to be responsible for anything that may happen by you storing it.
The longer you keep it the more trouble these types of people become. Best to ask him either to come get it give it to you, or offer him whatever for the engine if thats what you want. Either way clear the air and move on.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:56 PM
iflircaircraft

R1morris:
Thanks for the advice.....I think i'll use it....Thanks again.

Tom
Old 12-01-2003, 11:39 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tell him what I tell people any more. If you don't want it re-covered bad enough to do it, then you don't want it done. I don't mind helping people, but I will not do it for them any more. If they want to fly them, they need to know how to fix them. We have a lot of people here who do that. They drop a plane off at a friends and ask them to fix it because they don't know how. I keep telling the guys that fix them, if the person doesn't want to help fix it and learn, tell them to forget it. If you start fixing stuff for everyone else, it gets to be a job. I had one friend, a doctor, drop one off he was working on for a son. I said no and he insisted. I put it in a closet because I didn't have time, and after about 6 months he called and asked about it. I said he could come up and we would do it anytime, but he never came. After a couple years, I finally finished it just to get it out of there, but told him never to try to fly it. I wasn't going to fix it. He did a really bad job of putting it together and I didn't take the time to go back and fix. It was good to look at, but thats about it.

If they don't want it bad enough to spend the time to learn it, Don't do it for them. You will never get away from fixing their toys.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would give me a message in writing that he is to either come and get his stuff our you will use it as if it was yours. That way, he has nothing to say if 6 months later, he sees you with a plane and "his" engine.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:08 AM
iflircaircraft

I called him Sunday and he picked up his 'stuff' Monday morning.
Said he didn't want to put any money into it.
It may have been that he had just bought a house and doesn't have the time or money to invest in the model.
Or it may have been that I told him "I'm not going to be responsible for anyting missing or any damage to the plane" that got him to pick it up!

Tom
Old 12-02-2003, 11:33 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

He didn't want it done that bad and wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. You did good.