Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which Power Panel?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which Power Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 02:57 PM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Power Panel?

What are people's experiences with the different power panels available? The Sig vs. either of the Hobbico panels, it looks like the Sig has the upper hand since it will test your Rx battery for you...
Old 12-02-2003, 03:45 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Which Power Panel?

sizam, I have used power panels since I started in this hobby a long time ago. I pressently have two of the SIG's you speak of and they work great! I have never hooked up the ESV part but use the nystarter charger to charge onboard glow batteries, and drive a pump. I nolonger drive starters from the power panel because if you stall a starter (say from trying it on tobig an engine, we modeler never do that) it is posible to put some serious amps through the thing and I have seen them smoked.

As for the hobbico Cra... Stuff I owned two of them prior to the Sig. Switches fail, the meter falls out (sorry the plastic gets all shattered first than it fals out, the pot for adjusting amps into the glow plug fails, and the glow driver becomes intermitent. Neither of the two hobbicos I bought made it throght the summer I bought them for, infact one was to replace the other while I sent it back for warenty work. Their idea of warrenty work was to send it back saying they could not repeat the problems I complained of. Oh yah, the paint they use is not cold fuel proof. If you can't tell I think Hobbico owes me $50.00.

In all onesty the meter fell out of one of the SIG's but alittle PFM and it was as good as new.

Good luck

Joe
Old 12-02-2003, 07:37 PM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks, I was leaning towards the SIG anyway, going to stick in the SIG FieldKit I just built (heavy bugger).
Old 12-02-2003, 07:48 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I've been using the same Hobbico panel for over 10 years without a failure or a problem. Having said that, any Hobbico stuff I've bought in the last couple of years has been less than satisfactory!