Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What Float Plane is this?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Float Plane is this?

Old 05-16-2002, 07:50 PM
thejetgod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Float Plane is this?

I have been trying to find this float plane for a while, but without success. I remember seeing a kit marketed in RCM Mag back in the early '80's that looked like this one. It was from some small, independent manufacturer. Can you guys help me out here? I'll try to post a pic of what I am talking about. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-16-2002, 10:28 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forget the name of the plane...but I do know that you can get the plans fron RCM. Their plans cat. has pics so it should be easy to find. Sorry I cannot help you more.
Brian
Old 05-17-2002, 12:34 AM
thepope

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like a Schneider Sport 120. I just happened to be looking at a Jan 94 RCM mag and there is a review on this plane. The pics in the magazine are not very good but it sure looks like it to me.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:12 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Yup thats it.......
Old 05-17-2002, 08:32 PM
thejetgod

Guys, Thanks for the help. That brings the name back to memory, and you guys are correct. Now I can get started on trying to conjure one up.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I beleve the Schneider Sport in the 60 and 120 size were kitted by Stream I think the name was up in the northwest somewhere but are no longer in business.

John
Old 05-17-2002, 11:38 PM
thejetgod

John, Thanks for the additional info. That was the name I was looking for. I remember their ads in RCM. Too bad they're not still around. That happens way too much in this industry! This should be enough info to get me on my way. By the way, has anyone ever built and flown one of these things? If so, what do you think of the plane?
Old 05-18-2002, 02:28 AM
JohnBuckner

TJG it certainly is a beautiful design and kind of a cross between the Macchi M39 and the Supermarine S4/5/6/6b, Heck extend the nose with a long spinner and two sets of v12 stacks on the side and you got an imaginary Macchi MC72.

The fiberglas Stream floats are a thing of beauty although a bit heavy. Having attended the London Bridge float fly the last seven years there are always a few of these things in attendance. I have never flown one but they do appear to fly well but keep in mind they are not pattern planes more of a go fast turn left float plane . I am competing in a pylon race at lake Havasu AZ Sunday and one of the local racers has the sixty size and has pitted with me at numerous float flys. I,ll see what info I can get for you and post on Monday.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:31 AM
thejetgod

John, Good luck on the race! When you report back, be sure to tell us how you did.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:19 PM
JohnBuckner

TJG - I talked to Brian this morning and he is selling his its a Sixty size no engine and on the fiberglas Stream floats. As I remember this was a good flying aircraft. [email protected] Send him a note and at any rate he can fill you in about the design in general. Bryan is getting to busy with pylon lately particularly since he lost one this morning.

As for the race this morning. duats was predicting a big blow and the turnout was very poor so a few of us just played, practiced and tested some new airplanes, Of course the big blow turned out to be just a little puff.

John
Old 12-24-2002, 06:32 PM
capn crunch

Default Stream RC

If you guys are looking at the Stream Schneider Sport models, they were made in three sizes, a 60 a 120 and a 1/4 scale. We went out of business in 1996 (we were located in Newport News Va.) There are very few of the kits left, but every once in a while one pops up. Tom Strom also designed an Akro Pro 180 which had the Schneider wing on a different fuse. One great flyer...in 1/4 scale size. I see a 120 size Schneider fr sale elsewhere here, if you can get to it grab it. The floats are ABS and tend to be delicate. Commander in Canada makes fibreglas replacements.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:36 AM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

Default Schneider racer

I built the .60 sized model several years ago and have flown it both from land and water. It flies well both places but looks awesome on floats and handles superbly. I only fly it from water now and it is truly a great model. I would guess that the other sizes would be equally as good. If you can find one, or can get the plans, do so. You won't be disappointed.

Frank T.