Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help Me Identify This Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help Me Identify This Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 05:17 AM
mykafone
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Identify This Plane

I have just got a new plane form a buddy at work.. He bought this plane from someone else over 20 years ago and he has never flown it.. There is some minor damage but nothing much.. Im not sure how much it weighs.. It has twin rudders and both glue bonds that hold them on have given away over the years... It aslo has no ailerons.. I can see little cuts in the monocote where it looks like it has been hinged before - but there is no glue residue/leftover hinge... There is also no hole cut in wing for servo.. here are my questions

1. What plane is this??

2. How big should I make the ailerons?

3. Where should I mount servo? Dual servos?

4. What would be a good engine size??
ANY other suggestions would be extremly helpful...

I have more closeups but it will be a while before they can make it to my computer...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24608.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	85079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72240.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	85080  
Old 12-25-2003, 11:08 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Help Me Identify This Plane

It COULD be a kit, but 20 years ago, there was a big "Design-your-own-and-build-it-from-scratch" trend. And that's where I'll place MY bet.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:17 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree with Mike. Looking at it makes me believe it was a scratch build, "one off" design. I'd also guess that it did not have ailerons originally, just 3 channel. Someone may have stuck ailerons on it later, but you should see signs of a servo mount.

How are the rudders controlled? Are there cables, or bell cranks, built into the horizontal stab?
Dennis-
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 PM
mykafone

Yep the rudders are controlled by a bell crank built into the horizontal stabalizer.. i am now underway into this restoration project and i am having a hard time getting all the covering off.. whewwww.. i am going to put ailerons(how big?) on it with dual servos.. i am wondering what size of motor to stick on it.. it looks to be a 40 size - - what is the best way to tell - or decide??? im not sure how much it weighs..
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Kaos Rulz

Probably want to go with strip ailerons of 3/4 inch width. If the plane will be taking off of grass, I'd recommend a good .46 engine. A .40 size might work OK off of a hard surface; it'll just fly a bit slower.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:32 PM
dicknadine

whats the matter with a 3 channel setup? if your just starting 3 channel, rudder, elevator and motor works real good. then go to eilerons on the next model. on step at a time. dick
Old 05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
mykafone

well - - - while i do consider myself a beginner i do have several years under my belt flying along with 2 kits and about a half dozen rebuilds... im pretty sure i want ailerons.. the truth is im scared without them.. hahaha.. im also thinking about adding some sort of 5th ch maybe a bomb drop - a little parachute guy - something !!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:06 PM
mykafone

Default CG Question

OKIE DOKIE - I finally finished this dude and its real sharp looking - I'll post a pic asap.. One ? before i take it off.. Where should i balance it at.. The wing at the thickest spot close to fusalage is 13" including the aileron.. - right now the plane balances at 4 3/4".. is this close enough - ive never had to figure out the cg before.. thanks alot -- micah
Old 08-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Antique

Default RE: CG Question

Set the CG at 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 for it's maiden flight. Adjust it from there, for an unknown plane that's a good starting point.