Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ENGINE SIZE ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 07:34 PM
wadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE SIZE ?

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,
I am returning to this hobby after 15 years being away.I got a great deal on some used equipment from a guy I used to work with.My question is this:Part of this package is a goldbergh aniversary addition j3 cub wich is half built.The engine he bought for this plane is a saito 46. four stroke.(still in the box never ran).If I build this into a clipped wing cub would this be enogh engine for this plane.I bought a sig kadet mark 2 for my step son this christmas and I was thinking that if this engine isnt enough for the cub I would put into the kadet.I know that allot of you guys out there would say why did you buy a kadet mark 2 instead of a lt40.the reason is this.M first airplane (back in 1982)was A sig kadet mark2.That plane(and my dad) taught me how to read a ruler,follow directions,use a saw & most of all patience.Something(imho)kids dont know nowadays. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:02 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: ENGINE SIZE ?

I flew the GB Cub with an OS 40-4c. As long as it is built light, the 46 will do fine. My current H9 Cub 80" has a Magnum 52- 4c. Some pilots will say don't use anything less than YS 91. With their scale speed of 250 knots, it take away the relaxing flight of the cub. I prefer to let the plane fly instead of jerking off the ground then throttle back to 1/4 using a larger motor.
I'd suggest the Evolution 46 for your step sons plane. An easier trainer motor than the 4 stroke. The engine is already preset and ready to fly. The OS line of LA's are a good choice also.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:08 PM
wadster

Hey Randy, Thanks for your input & your advice.We started working on the kadet today & once its finshed Ill get that cub ready for the air.I just hope I can still rember how to fly after 15 years .good thing thing I bought that kadet huh!(lol).Thanks again, Scott
Old 01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
phread59

I have a PT 40 with a Saiito 45 in it. The plane flew with authority. I liked it. I dorked the plane and damaged the motor. I will some day send it out and have it repaired. I think that engine will do great in the Kadet. The GB Cub will work good but if you want airobatics I would opt for a bigger engine. Maybe a 52 or even a 70 saito. I am building the GP Cub and am stuffing a Saito 80 in it with the full wing. I know it will be overkill but I have one and the kit states an 80 will be ok.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd put the Saito in the trainer, and go with a Saito 72 or OS 70 Surpass for the Cub.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to secont that. I flew the goldberg cub with an OS 48 surpass and it flew, but was very marginal. Fun for scale like flight, but I wanted more, and it didn't work well with floats. It was less than marginal that way. A little more power is better. Even the saito 56 is better, but still a tad on the weak side.