Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote Vs. Ultracote. Which is lighter?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote Vs. Ultracote. Which is lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 06:58 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Vs. Ultracote. Which is lighter?

Anyone know for sure wich is lighter per SQFT?
Old 05-19-2002, 11:58 PM
spuck5644

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an extensive thread on this on the IMAC list. Mono is slightly lighter than Ultra. This assumes the same color of both. Some colors are heavier than others. (I'll still use Ultra for stayin' tight and ease of use)
Steve
Old 05-20-2002, 01:55 AM
wgeffon

Steve,

I have been using Monokote for just about 22 years and have gotten pretty good at using it. But, I have always heard about how much easier Ultracote is to use. I may give it a shot on my next covering job.

You ever get up to Bloomington to fly? I fly at SIRS.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:16 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give the nod to Ultracote for ease of use, but you have to pull it tighter IMO than MoneyKote, or it will wrinkle in the sun.

Vince
Old 05-20-2002, 10:14 AM
snsmith
My Feedback: (5)

Vince, my experience has been quite the opposite. I've never had Ultracote sag but Monokote will loosen and sag in the sun. Ultracote's adhesive also bubbles less and goes on with less heat, which makes it better for trim work, IMHO.

To me, Monokote's advantages are a more glossy finish and much wider color selection. When I need an odd color, I generally use Monokote, but for general covering, I use Ultracote.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:54 PM
BingoFlyer

Vince, I have to agree that Ultrcote is easier to apply than MonoKote, however I can't understand the reference to MoneyKote. I buy MonoKote for less than $9.00/roll Ultracote is much more expensive and is getting even more so. Check out the price of MonoKote at National Hobbies, ask for the price for buying ten or more rolls.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:25 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, if Ultracote was twice the price, I'd still use it (I'd bi*ch like hell about it, but I'd still use it). I've used Monokote since it was introduced, and have tried others, but a few years ago, when I tried Ultracote, I was hooked! I recently bought some Monokote because it was all that the LHS had in stock (and mt LHS is a two hour drive away). After that experience, I swore I'd never use it again. People say Monokote is glossier, but I sure don't see it. And as far as bubbles go, I've never seen a covering that DOESN'T get some bubbles over time, but there's this *new invention* called a "heat gun" that will cure that problem.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Ultrscote has a white paper backing that lets you draw out your designs before cutting them out! This, in itself, is worth it's weight in gold! IMHO