Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room

Folks,

The wife and I are looking into ideas for building into our new home, and specifically, I will be having a room dedicated to airplane buildin......I am interested in designing the 'ultimate' hobby room (at least from a layout perspective) and to place this room either within the 3rd bay of the garage (possibly), or as a separate room on the main floor of our soon to be designed house.

I am asking for a call to action, and please forward any photo's or layout plans of your shop's so that I can absorb some of your unique idea's and encorporate them into this new room of the house.....

then the next step is being able to afford some of the 'toys' within the room....

thanks folks....

rcunicverse rules!!

Canuck.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room

The biggest decision to make is whether or not this shop will be a "dirty" room; IOW, will you be sanding, painting, etc., in there? If so, I STRONGLY suggest you make it separate from the inhabited dwelling; or at least have a separate ventilation system.

We plan on building a smaller house soon, now that all the kids are gone. I will have a "clean" room, for storage of the models and non-dirty work like covering, radio set-up, maintenance on the helos, etc., in the house. The "dirty" room will be a separate room off the carport. And it will have a separate evacuator system for the power tools, with a pick-up at each station. On-demand compressed air, and electrical sockets EVERYWHERE. A large, central building table, accessible from all sides. Benches along the other walls, with storage above and below.

The big thing is to keep your completed models and other gear away from wherever you'll be sanding.

Have fun.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I have found to be invaluable, is to have 2 tables: A "Workbench", and a "Building Table"

The workbench is mounted to the wall and is solid as a rock. The Building table is a free-standing table (Hollow core door top) in the middle of the room so I have 360* access to it.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a thread entitled something like show us your shop. Go look at all the pictures.

I put a few in there of mine. I spent a lot of time designing it. It is a pleasure to build in, has lots of storage, huge work space and now a rolling table in the middle that I kicked myself for bringing home, but it works so well, I went and got another one for my full scale shop. If you can't find the pics, email me and I will send some.

Not saying mine is the best, but it sure works good.

36 inch deep by 8 foot building board on the south wall, 10 foot by 2 foot machine bench on the east wall, 2 foot by 8 foot building board/workbench on the north wall, storage above and below, full scale Long EZ wings on the West wall and the 2X2 roll around in the middle that moves out when I don't need it. Works well.

You want to have it in a place that isn't next to a room you want to keep perfect, or have good dust suction fans. I have a good suction unit now and use it a lot. Never had one before but man are they handy. Also a fan to remove CA oders from the bench is a plus.

Needs a good sterio system, good chair, and the height of the work surface at the height that works best for you. I have mine high so I can stand, and a stool for when I sit. I have mats that slide out from under the bench if I am standing that are soft. My friend likes lower benches so he can sit all the time, but I find that when you build a lot, you are always running from one machine to the other so I like to be up and moble. He doesn't have any machines and builds about one plane a year. We both started building Stik 60s at the same time, I have built 5 planes, his is half done.

good luck, a nice shop is such a pleasure to work in.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

My dream room would start out with 220volt 3 phase electrical, 110 outlets higher than the workbenches all the way around, air vents and overhead lighting, dust collection system with flex ducting for versatility. Storage of planes would be in a seperate area with ample outlets for charging without having to move cords. I'd have benches and cabinets along at least two walls with an electrical area, a construction area, and an engine area. The center would have 4x8 folding table for assembly and 360 acess. A third wall would have table top drill press, belt sander, table saw (these need a lot of room so put it on a cart for when not in use) and as long as we're dreaming the welder, mill and lathe could go there as well. Air compressor outside and pipes running along the benches with quick disconects at handy intervals.

I'd have this room close to my office so I could go look stuff up on RCU when I have a building question, an area for the dogs cause they like to hang out with me, the strereo, roll away tool cabinet, shelving, flamable cabinet outside away from the house, and a sack of $100 bills for going to the hobby shop.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Why a 3rd stall in the garage. Do what I did. Instead of fill under the 3 stall garage on the side of the hill, the builder said it would be cheaper to make it a room, so I have 700+ sq ft under the garage but with windows and vent fan to work on models.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Here is a link to a thread in the Clubhouse with lots of work shop information.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...ey_shop/tm.htm

Eric
Old 01-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

...... and a sack of $100 bills for going to the hobby shop.
That's what I'm talking about!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
phread59

Lots of great ideas here. But somewhere I would have a set of kitchen cabinets above the work area. Maybe above and below the work bench. Room for storing spare wood, servo's ect. I would put down a linolium floor. Easy to clean and better than bare concrete. The linolium and cabinets can be cheapies. They are noot for looks but for a purpose. Form follows function. As others said a pile of sockets above the work bench. Room for tools, I see Grizzley has mobile bases for tools. Would be nice to have an area where you can work with them. Then when done roll them out of the way. Do not forget lighting!!!!!! I would use 2 sets of flourescent lights on 2 switches. To vary the amount of light. I would also put track lighting all around the room. With multiple spots on them. Would allow you to put light right where you want it. Flourescents are best for low eye strain. It must have heat and AC!! And I would add a small refrigerator for beverages (Coke for me, I don't drink alcohol, Maybr that is why I'm nuts). One wall I would do up with peg board. Just to hang tools and stuff from. I like Flyboys idea of a 4x8' walk around island for working or building on. I like the idea of a roll around bench. Tool companies also make roll around trays. Sears sells them. One would be helpful to cart tools and glue around. And last but not least a seperate area for storage of finished ready tro go airplanes. Oh yea I live in the northeast and basements are the norm. But elsewhere they are not. I suggest you look seriously into a full or partial basement. The cost of the foundationwork is minimal compaered to adding a room or two onto a plan. You also can then go with a standard plan. Changing things over standard offerings is dreadfully expensive. Also basements are more energy efficient for our needs. Less cooling in the summer and warmer in the winter. I know this is a long post but I felt I could really help here.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Alan07

Hi,

Sorry to interfere but since you're talking about organising a Hobby Room I thought you might be able to help me. I'm after building a Scale Turbine Jet Model bigger than 1/9 Scale. Any idea who might sale these kind of models. I biggest I found so for was 1/8, but I'm looking for something bigger - looking for modern fighter jets like the F-16 etc .....

Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I would do tall ceilings. keeps you from bumping in to hanging airplanes and from dinging up the airplanes while handling them in the room.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

My dream building room would be one large enough to have a couple of 4' x 8' tables in the middle of the room that you could walk all the way around...