Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Canopy Tinting

Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 AM
bmgbeetle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Tinting

I was wondering if anyone had any experience tinting plastic canopies. I've seen various colors, and was thinking of doing the canopy of my U-Can-Do in blue or just dark. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:17 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Canopy Tinting

beetle,
Just use regular RIT dye mixed per package directions. The longer you leave the canopy in it, the darker it gets. I used split shot fishing weights around the edges to sink it in the dye. It's a very easy process.

papermache
Old 01-08-2004, 09:17 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: papermache

beetle,
Just use regular RIT dye mixed per package directions. The longer you leave the canopy in it, the darker it gets. I used split shot fishing weights around the edges to sink it in the dye. It's a very easy process.

papermache

........ time consuming and messy.

Get the tinting paints the rc-car guys use and spray the inside after you have cleaned it!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:06 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Great Planes informed me via Email that the UCANDO canopy can't be tinted with Dye due to the type of plastic used. If you want tint you will probably need to go the spray-paint route. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:35 PM
hookedonrc

I had the same problem with my Magic Extra. I followed the directions to the letter, left the canopy in for over 1 hour completely submerged. When I pulled it out, it was as clear as clean glass. I ended up painting it with Canopy Tint pain, but do not like how it came out (and it ran). I am still trying to find out a better way.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

I've used Rite Dye 3 times and haven't had any problems as all my canopies have come out tinted. Now mind you, 2 came out darker than the third. You see, some types of plastics just won’t take the stain, and after all that effort, you’re left with a mediocre piece of plastic.

Get the hottest tap water you can into a suitable bucket for the canopy, add the Rite Dye color of choice, mix, drop in your canopy, and let sit for 2-3 hours. Pull the canopy, run under warm water and check for darkness. If it’s not to your liking, re-submerse and check again. I left my extra canopy over night and it came out very nice.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:32 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: hookedonrc

I had the same problem with my Magic Extra. I followed the directions to the letter, left the canopy in for over 1 hour completely submerged. When I pulled it out, it was as clear as clean glass. I ended up painting it with Canopy Tint pain, but do not like how it came out (and it ran). I am still trying to find out a better way.

The trick is to do several light coats on a warm day - allow the paint to dry between each coat. Do as many coats as needed until you get the tint you want!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:48 AM
hookedonrc

rorywquin: Thanks for the tip, I figured that was my problem. I was only in the 50's when I painted it and I did rush the job. I just wanted to finish the plane so I could get flying. I am not sure when we will see real warm weather again so I didn't wait. It didn't hurt it too much, but painting in the house is a no-no around here.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:04 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Bmgbeetle,
I used Pactra RC272 Candy Blue spray paint. It will take about 3 extremely light coat to get a really nice blue. You can keep adding more to darken, but remember real light coats with 15-20 in between coats.

You could also use Pactra 1257 transparent blue(takes too many coats to get the blue I like) or use the Pactra Transparent window tint(be careful using this one, take extremely light coats and can get dark quickly)

Ps. If my memory serves me right, RITS dye tints Butyrate(Sig kits) plastic, but will not tint ABS, Acetal, or Acrylic plastic that well, if at all. Maybe some of those scientific minds can chime in on this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97620.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	89255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90077.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	89256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88285.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	89257  
Old 01-12-2004, 06:18 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: myersflyers

Bmgbeetle,
I used Pactra RC272 Candy Blue spray paint. It will take about 3 extremely light coat to get a really nice blue. You can keep adding more to darken, but remember real light coats with 15-20 in between coats.

You could also use Pactra 1257 transparent blue(takes too many coats to get the blue I like) or use the Pactra Transparent window tint(be careful using this one, take extremely light coats and can get dark quickly)

Ps. If my memory serves me right, RITS dye tints Butyrate(Sig kits) plastic, but will not tint ABS, Acetal, or Acrylic plastic that well, if at all. Maybe some of those scientific minds can chime in on this one.
A picture speaks a 1000 words!

Down with Ritt!![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 01-13-2004, 07:28 PM
hookedonrc

Here's my Magic Extra ready for its maiden flight this past Sunday. Like I said, I rushed the spraying job so it came out too dark, but there isn't a pilot or anything to see anyway. Thanks again for the tips.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14176.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	90281  
Old 01-15-2004, 12:22 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

You can use denatured alcohol to remove the Testors Canopy paint and it will not bother the
plastic. You can keep removing the paint until you get just the tint(minus runs) you like.
In fact it will help clean it.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:27 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hookedonrc

Here's my Magic Extra ready for its maiden flight this past Sunday. Like I said, I rushed the spraying job so it came out too dark, but there isn't a pilot or anything to see anyway. Thanks again for the tips.
This looks pretty cool actually.

Joe
Old 01-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

My UCD came out almost identicle to Myersflyers, the Rit did not work on this plane. I used the car paint after a good cleaning and masking to keep paint off the outside, looks great with buttonhead screws to hold it down.