Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

looking for inflight altimiter????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

looking for inflight altimiter????

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:44 AM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for inflight altimiter????

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a low cost altimiter that has a transmitter and reciever so you can read your altitude at your transmitter as you climb??? Thanks for your time.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: looking for inflight altimiter????

If you are looking at an altimeter on your wrist or radio, you can't watch the plane you are flying. What are you trying to do?

There are companies that make systems for tracking the whole flight and printing it or displaying it afterwards, but I don't know of any that send the info to the pilot as you are flying.

That would be a distraction you just don't need.

Are you trying to do some kind of photography that you need an exact scale on?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
fly103-RCU

Hi, We need to know that during our skydiving rallys that we are taking each R/C Skydiver to the same altitude. During each drop we score points by performing certain manuvers and then score again by how close to the center of the target we can land. If I can be sure I carry each jumper up to the same altitude I can be sure each is getting the same amount of time to complete his task.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38720.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	89024  
Old 01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
FLYBOY

Hmmmm. Thats a tough one. You can use time to climb, but that will not be that exact as the air warms up or if you climb at different angles. The trackers won't tell you on the ground without building some kind of device to transmit it. You could build something that would work like an old free flight timer that would set off an audible alarm instead of shutting off the engine based on a GPS signal telling the altitude or some kind of pressure switch. It won't be that exact, but could get you close.

The other option is to have the same pilot launching them and he will get used to visual cues to make them all as close to the same altitude as possible.

Might be hard getting them exact.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take all the jumpers up in one plane, drop all of them at the same time.. That will be FUN!!!!
or..
Have the flier "calibrate" the altitude using the button at the end of the xmtr antenna vs wingspan...
Same size plane=same distance from the flier

Name:	Lj21806.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	89037  
Old 01-09-2004, 04:20 PM
fly103-RCU

Ive found an altimiter that the rocket guys use to set off their delays for poping the recovery chutes out which can be set at diferent altitudes and could even give us a smoke burst. Each flight would cost 1.50 for the smoke burst (50 or more flights each day would be costly). They also told me of a transmitter and reciever that would work with the altimiter but the cost is over 350.00. We were hoping to find something below the 200.00 price. Maybe we can find someone that has the electronic ability to take the parts from one of the cheap video cam setups and use it to turn on led's to let me know when I get to certain altitudes.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:28 PM
fly103-RCU

We are working on a plane that will carry 6 jumpers at once. Our skydivers weigh between 2 1/2lbs and 4 1/2lbs. The antenna button is great idea I'm using it now for my test drops to see if my chute improvements increase flight times.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
FLYBOY

Why don't you use one of those altimeters, but instead of a smoke burst, it flips a switch on a loud speaker or cuts the engine. Wouldn't cost anything then after you buy the unit. That would work out ok, engine cuts, jumpers drop.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:47 PM
SDR-Hammer

I’ve never tried this on a moving airplane but laser range finders can be had for under $200.

Of course this would require a third person to operate the range finder and report the altitude.

If it wasn’t so stinkin’ cold I’d give mine a try at the field and give you a report on how well it worked. I still can if you can wait until April?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:05 PM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Ken:
Try http://picolario-usa.com/.
This device does exactly what you want and gives altitude verbally. It's not cheap! Paul; Reiner has one and says it works well.
Jim Boone
Old 01-09-2004, 10:58 PM
fly103-RCU

Thanks Jim, I was hoping something new had arrived that would cost a little less. The system Paul has is great but has a high price when you want to equip. two or three drop planes for a rally. I would like to set up our rally were you wont have to worrie about keeping a drop plane going and you can spend more time getting a bunch of drops in. Thanks and glad to hear from you again!! How's that stinger drop planE???

Next I didnt realize it was wrong to post a question in two different places. This rule must be some were besides the Forum policies page or I'm not seeing it, I figured not everyone gets to hit all the forum areas each time so I picked the two places that I could see alot of different people look at but not the same people. I'm sorry and it wont happen again.

Name:	Lj23431.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	89140  
Old 01-10-2004, 01:21 AM
Dewalt17

You may be on to something here. Lazer rangefinder may be your cheapest alternative. Not sure how well it would work on an airplane though???? Do you have any golfing buddies that could loan you one??
Old 05-27-2004, 07:03 AM
John Sedovic

Go to this address for an onboard altimeter http://picolario-usa.com/ Bob and I where aboard a flight where our jumpers where dropped at 1300 ft. It does work and very well to. It is not cheap but well worth it if you really want to know the altitude you are at.

Have Fun,
John Sedovic
Old 05-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Maelstrom

Why not just drop them all WAY HIGH and give everyone more than enough time to do whatever it is they are supposed to do?
Give them extra points for maneuvers completed in the least amount of time counted from the moment THEY decide the altitude is adequate to start the "test". The best pilots will start the series of maneuvers closer to the ground and still be able to complete them in time. Part of the challange is not to start too late.
Luis
Old 05-27-2004, 09:15 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

With the rocektry altimeter, set to what ever altitude, have it drop your skydiver instead of is setting off a smoke signal or such.

just my 2ΒΆ
Old 05-27-2004, 10:32 AM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: Dewalt17

You may be on to something here. Lazer rangefinder may be your cheapest alternative. Not sure how well it would work on an airplane though???? Do you have any golfing buddies that could loan you one??
golfing rangefingers are NOT laser rangers. (they sell for <$10...) They just use the known height of the pin and go from there.

for $300 you can set up a ham radio tx with a tinytrak, and have a ham rx station on the ground. height will only be accurate to the gps vertical accuracy, so if you can find one with WAAS for a decent price...

gps=$60
tinytrak=$40
2 vx-1r radios = $200
laptop with sound (hope you have it already, otherwise cost is prohibitive.)